The attorneys that comprise our Securities and Corporate Governance Litigation practice are among the most highly ranked by several client- and peer-review publications, including Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, The Best Lawyers in America, and Super Lawyers. We have substantial experience in securities class actions, shareholder derivative actions, merger and acquisitions lawsuits, proxy contests, tender offers, going-private transactions, director and officer duties and liabilities, indemnification of directors and officers, internal investigations, minority shareholder oppression suits, and securities broker-dealer and investment advisor litigation and compliance.
- We represent clients in complex and high-stakes securities-related matters and corporate takeover efforts in federal courts, state courts, and arbitration proceedings throughout the country. Our clients span a myriad of industries and include public and private companies, their directors and officers, and committees of their boards of directors.
- We represent broker-dealers, investment advisors, and clearing firms in class actions, mass actions, SEC receiver actions, and customer claims in both federal and state courts and arbitrations. Through our experience-based approach, our technology resources, and our talented team, we provide superior, yet cost-competitive, legal services.
- We have extensive experience representing corporations, securities firms, and individuals in SEC enforcement investigations and actions, along with criminal investigations and proceedings.
Connect with a Professional
Advised Taubman Centers, Inc., and The Taubman Realty Group Limited Partnership in a $9.8 billion merger and joint venture with Simon Property Group, Inc., and Simon Property Group, L.P.
Obtained dismissal of numerous class action cases concerning the merger of public companies, including those arising out of Taubman Realty Group Limited Partnership merger with Simon properties, Mackinac Financial Corporation merger with Nicolet Bankshares, Inc., Tecumseh Products Company merger with Mueller Industries, Inc.
Successfully representing public companies in class action concerning misleading disclosures, including such companies as General Motors, FMF Capital LLC
Successfully advising and representing public companies in dispute and litigation with activist shareholders, including winning the dismissal of shareholder claims in Land and Building Investment Management, LLC v. Taubman Centers, Inc., Eastern District of Michigan
Represented Taubman Centers, Inc., and The Taubman Realty Group Limited Partnership in Simon Property Group, Inc. v. Taubman Centers, Inc., No. 2020-181675-CB (Mich. Cir. Ct. Oakland County), a civil action brought by Simon, seeking a judgment that Simon had validly terminated the parties’ Agreement and Plan of Merger because Taubman had suffered a Material Adverse Effect due to the COVID-19 pandemic and had breached its covenant to conduct its business in the ordinary course
Obtained summary judgment on behalf of an investment bank accused of misrepresenting financial statements in the sale of a business, including allegedly manipulating revenue recognition and EBITDA in DJSP Enterprises, Inc v. Stern, Broward County Court
Successfully represented companies that were the subject of SEC investigations and enforcement actions concerning disclosures and complex financial matters
Successfully representing individuals who were the subject of SEC investigations and enforcement actions concerning insider trading and the alleged improper sale of securities
Represented major university endowment and endowment managers in congressional hearings and before the SEC
Successfully advised and represented major broker-dealers and investment advisory firm in non-competition and non-solicitation cases throughout the United States
Successfully represented broker-dealer and clearing firms in class actions
News & Insights
- Honigman Earns National Rankings in 17 Practice Areas by U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” for 2022Press Release |
- 110 Honigman Attorneys Named in The Best Lawyers in America 2022, 12 Partners Named “Lawyer of the Year”Press Release |
- Honigman Earns National Rankings in 16 Practice Areas by U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” for 2021Press Release |
- Press Release |
- Honigman Garners National Rankings in 15 Practice Areas by U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” for 2020Press Release |