Honigman is a business law firm that operates with an eye towards responsiveness and innovation in all that we do. Founded in Detroit in 1948, we’ve expanded to include offices across Michigan, to Chicago and Washington, D.C.
Our sophisticated attorneys counsel clients on complex issues in more than 60 legal practice areas. We’re proud to have recruited the best and brightest legal minds from across the United States – including from the U.S. Department of Justice, Am Law 50 firms, and leading global organizations – to help further strengthen our practice group expertise.
We’re proud of our promise to diversity, equity and inclusion; living that commitment every day with our clients and the community.
Our firm remains at the forefront of innovation by creating new approaches to leverage our intellectual horsepower while adding value for our clients. We stay on top of the latest legal trends in M&A, private equity, and consulting on growth companies. We help clients get ahead of intellectual property, security and other risks with customized, yet practical solutions.
Among our recent accolades:
- Ranked a Band 1 firm for Bankruptcy/Restructuring, Corporate/M&A, IP, Real Estate, and Litigation in Michigan in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Additionally, our Labor and Employment and Immigration practices are ranked in Michigan and our Intellectual Property and Insurance departments are recognized in Illinois.
- We received a National ranking for 17 of our key practice areas in U.S. News - Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” for 2021
- The Best Lawyers in America named 147 of our lawyers, 16 of whom are also named "Lawyer of the Year" in 2023.
Now that you know more about us, we invite you to explore our website, meet our attorneys and see why we’ve been known as an iconic law firm for more than seven decades.
The history of Honigman began when Jason Honigman, a Russian immigrant, and Milton (Jack) J. Miller, born in Baltimore, Maryland, decided to create the firm Honigman Miller in 1948 in Detroit’s First National Building. Alan E. Schwartz joined Honigman and Miller in 1952, and Irwin Cohn became the last of the founding partners to join the firm in 1961, thereby forming Honigman Miller Schwartz and Cohn LLP. While they were known for their legal intellect, it was their understanding of their clients’ industries and business goals that made their advice more than simply an adherence to the law. In 2015, the firm combined with Schopff & Weiss, a Chicago-based litigation firm, establishing a Chicago office and in 2020 opened a Washington, DC office.
The basic tenets of the firm have not changed since 1948:
- Recruit top law school graduates and experienced lawyers
- Help new attorneys hone their skills by providing challenging work and the ability to develop relationships with clients
- Provide monetary reward for a high level of work, developing a culture of meritocracy
- Serve clients by providing the best legal advice based on the client's own business goals
- Provide the level of service needed by appropriately staffing the matter for resolution
Today, Honigman employs over 330 attorneys and 350 staff and operates a local, national, and international practice from its Michigan offices in Detroit, Bloomfield Hills, Lansing, Ann Arbor, Kalamazoo, and Grand Rapids, its Illinois office in Chicago and its office in Washington, DC. Honigman’s attorneys practice in more than 60 different areas of business law and consistently receive high ratings from their peers and clients.