We understand that as a large Midwest employer in the legal sector our continued success depends on our most important asset – our people – which is why we take so much care in recruiting and retaining the best. Our commitment to our people is enshrined in our core values which underpin everything we do. We emphasize the importance of hiring, developing and retaining high-quality individuals who are driven to make a positive impact at the firm. We are able to do this by creating and maintaining competitive programs while fostering a culture that promotes diversity, respect, service, growth and recognition.
We pride ourselves on providing opportunities to enhance our employees' skills, so that they may further their careers and achieve their goals. We look for people who are self-motivated, dedicated to providing value and superior services and, above all, have a high degree of integrity, professionalism and enthusiasm for their work. Our employees find challenging opportunities in a stimulating, supportive environment that encourages teamwork, fosters open communication and recognizes and rewards exceptional performance. We offer exceptional career opportunities to lawyers, aspiring graduates and business support professionals in an environment that is challenging, rewarding and, we believe, truly different from our competitors.
Our staff of more than 350 is organized along functional lines and consists of: paralegals; legal secretaries; librarians; information technology specialists; personnel assigned to financial and records services; human resources; benefits; and office services.
Attorney Development and Recruitment
Our Attorney Development and Recruitment team works closely with the firm’s hiring partners to execute a strategic approach to recruitment and ensure our attorneys have state-of-the-art tools for their professional development. Guided by our Core Competency Framework, we provide practical and dynamic professional development training and coaching programs for Laterals, Associates and Summer Associates.
Our Business Development Department provides marketing, sales and public relations services to our attorneys, and promotes the Honigman brand throughout the Midwest, nationally and increasingly around the world. Our services include market research, practice group and industry marketing, public relations, firm collateral materials, client packages and proposals, attorney biography maintenance, professional involvement and networking opportunities, community involvement support, sponsorship development, special events management, and website creation and maintenance.
The Honigman FOCUS team is comprised of legal project management, pricing, knowledge management, practice management, and legal operations professionals, working together to drive innovation and process improvement internally and externally. Consistent with our client service standards, the FOCUS team adapts our service-delivery model to provide a bespoke approach for each engagement, strategically designed to meet client needs on both an enterprise and matter level.
With an emphasis on providing the highest professional business practices and customer services, our Central Services Department provides quality, efficiency and convenience to the firm’s clients, attorneys, and staff team members. Our team prides itself on providing an exceptional level of service in managing the firm’s facilities, purchasing and office-related functions.
Read More +
Our Document Services Department serves as a high-volume document solution provider to the firm and provides a wide range of services, including document preparation, production, styling, copying of electronic data, conversion and assistance with special projects. The team provides timely, economical and efficient methods of producing documents, while maintaining a professional standard of excellence and ensuring a high level of satisfaction.
Dedicated to serving the financial needs of our organization, our Financial Services Department provides valuable financial, reporting and analytical resources for attorneys, clients and staff. The department’s services encompass a full range of fiscal duties including Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Budgeting, Time & Billing, Taxation, Payroll and Collections.
Honigman’s Human Resources team provides services in recruiting, employee relations, benefits, compensation, career guidance, and learning and development. Our team strives to attract, develop, motivate, retain and reward top talent to advance our high performance culture and status as a workplace of choice, and equips our staff team members with the tools, knowledge and resources to maximize their contribution to the firm and its clients.
Leveraging leading-edge technology, our Information Technology Department supports the firm through a variety of strategic solutions that offer greater business efficiency, ensure data security and privacy, and support new business opportunities for our attorneys and firm. Our team includes, but is not limited to, software and systems engineers, system architects, business analysts, database administrators, IT security engineers, project managers, technical trainers, and a variety of support technicians and user support specialists.
Our Library staff team members handle a broad range of requests for information and materials across the information spectrum, and provide guidance and assistance in the use of electronic and print resources that have become part of the thorough and often extensive research necessary to effectively serve our clients.
Our paralegals and specialists play an integral role and provide key support to the legal teams and clients whom they support. We employ a team-based approach within assigned departments, which collaboratively brings attorneys, paralegals and specialists together to best meet the needs of our clients and develop their experience within specific legal disciplines. The contributions of our paralegals and specialists are highly valued and an integral part of our success in representing our clients’ interests.
Our Records Department’s goal is to maintain the highest professional standard in quality and efficiency in maintaining the firm’s vital records. Our emphasis is to deliver exemplary customer service through a strong and productive support team that ensures the proper storage and retrieval of records on behalf of our clients, attorneys and staff team members.
Our attorney support staff works closely with our attorneys, paralegals and specialists in support of our clients. We are privileged to have a very skilled and seasoned attorney support team with an excellent reputation for establishing highly valued relationships with our clients and our attorneys, and for providing an exceptional level of support and service.
Consistent with its goals of providing superior customer service, Honigman is committed to continuous learning and development in several key areas including on-boarding/orientation, management and leadership development, general employee skill building, team building/organization effectiveness and computer/technical training.
Professional Development for Staff Team Members
The Honigman Institute for Professional Growth provides a wide array of programs to all non-legal team members and managers, and is a powerful vehicle for developing knowledge and skills leading to career advancement within the firm. The firm’s Manager of Staff Professional Development oversees programs offering more than 50 instructor-led, custom designed workshops and seminars designed to address basic, intermediate and advanced topics for leaders, managers and non-managerial team members. All programs are designed with one primary objective in mind – to continue to grow the firm’s already high levels of employee engagement, satisfaction, teamwork, communication and effectiveness. Some core topics include:
- The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership
- The Management Development Foundation Program
- The Art of Delegation
- Giving and Receiving Feedback
- Professional Presentation Skills
- The Professional Enhancement Series for Law Firm Professionals
- Managing the Change Curve
- Personalities at Work – The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
- Proofread Like a Pro!
- Flawless Grammar and Punctuation
To successfully leverage leading edge technology, Honigman also offers an exceptional collection of technical and computer-based training programs through its Technology Training Department. These programs are designed to enable learners to enhance their knowledge and skill to align with, meet and exceed the ever-advancing needs of our clients. The objective is to stay on the cutting edge of technology, enabling the firm to sustain high levels of business efficiency. Some core examples of technology-based courses offered include:
- Adobe Acrobat
- Best Authority
- Microsoft 2010 Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Enterprise eTime
- Nuance PDF-C
Honigman staff team members regularly participate in a wide array of professional development and technical training sessions designed to enhance their skills, which are highly interactive and facilitate positive collaboration and sharing of experiences.
Read Less -
Honigman is proud to be recognized as a great place to work and grow. We offer a generous total compensation and benefits package that is best-in-class in Michigan and nationally.
Health and Wellbeing
- Comprehensive medical coverage offered to full-time team members at a competitive monthly cost
- Several medical plan options are available: HDHP, HMO, or PPO
- Option to receive a monthly stipend for waiving medical coverage
- Online and telephone office visits available at low office visit cost
- Health savings account option available to those who enroll in HDHP
- Critical Illness and Personal Accident Insurance (voluntary; self-paid)
- Firm-paid monthly premium for comprehensive dental coverage for employee and eligible family members
- No annual deductibles
- No age limit on orthodontic coverage
- Firm-paid monthly premium for comprehensive optical coverage for employee and eligible family members
- $200 annual fitness reimbursement for fitness improvement programs or the purchase of fitness equipment
- Weekly meditation
- Free substance abuse and addiction counseling
- Student loan debt refinancing through Sofi and CommonBond
- Mortgage loans and refinancing through Rocket Mortgage, LLC
- On-site massage in four of our offices (AA, BH, DET, LAN)
- Subsidized annual flu shots and free blood pressure screenings
- Free CPR / AED training (incentive available)
- Healthy beverage program paid/subsidized by the Firm
- Employee Assistance Program (including free Travel Assistance)
- Firm-paid matching contribution of 25% on the first 5% of compensation contributed; immediate 100% vesting in matching contributions
- Employee may contribute up to 50% of annual compensation, subject to the IRS limits and participation may start as early as 3 months after hire
- Plan permits after tax (Roth) contributions and hardship distributions
- Firm-paid annual contribution of 5% of compensation into your retirement account; immediate 100% vesting in profit sharing contributions
- 2 year waiting period waived for team members with 10 years’ legal industry experience and 5 years’ non-401(k) retirement plan participation
Basic Life Insurance and AD&D
- Firm-paid premium for Basic Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance coverage
Disability Income Protection
- Firm-paid premium for short-term and long-term disability coverage
- Advantageous option to pay tax on the Firm-paid premium for a tax-free benefit
- Disability benefit is 60% of base earnings
- Up to $2,500 annually reimbursed for tuition costs
- Flexible spending accounts for both health care and dependent care
- Long-term care insurance
- Supplemental group term life insurance
- Dependent group term life insurance
- Supplemental accidental death and dismemberment
- Pet Insurance
A wide variety of discounts are offered through Firm clients and vendors, such as:
- Travel and entertainment
- Computer purchases
- Mobile device services
- Vehicle purchases (GM, Ford, and Volkswagen)
- Generous tax-free reimbursement offered to employees who work in offices where they must pay to park.
Work-Life and Work Culture
Paid Time Off
- Generous paid time off All Purpose Leave (APL) program
- Paid holidays
- Paid parental, bereavement, and jury duty leave
- Flexible scheduling
- Paid time off for Firm sponsored community service event(s)
- Business casual dress every day; jeans every Friday
Rewards and Recognition
- Competitive compensation program
- Performance-based bonus opportunity
- Anniversary gift program, on the spot bonuses, annual staff appreciation celebration, child birth, marriage, and employee birthday recognition, on-site celebrations of milestone events, holidays, and more!
- The Firm supports and sponsors many community involvement events, e.g., Chapter One Volunteer Tutoring program and the Honigman Annual Day of Service.
If you are a team player who demands the best from your colleagues, then see what Honigman can do for you. If you are interested in becoming a member of our team, please apply online via our careers page, or contact:
Telephone Number: (312) 701-9321
Fax Number: (312) 701-9335
We appreciate your interest in opportunities with Honigman. Please feel free to review our current openings by clicking on the “APPLY NOW” link below. You are encouraged to submit your resume and complete our online application for any position that is of interest to you. If you do not find a position of interest at this time, you may submit your resume and complete our online application for future consideration. All resumes and applications are strictly confidential. Thank you for your interest in Honigman!
Honigman is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or any other category prohibited by applicable local, state or federal law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, compensation, benefits, and termination.
Honigman is proud to be named among the “101 Best and Brightest Companies to Work For,” the Detroit Free Press “Top Workplaces,” and the “50 Best Law Firms for Women.