Marcia Owens is a partner who represents clients on a wide-range of real estate matters, from finance and workouts to leasing and development. Marcia has experience in retail, office, industrial, and mixed use transactions, with a particular concentration in retail development and leasing and the restructuring and workout of loans and distressed assets. Marcia has represented clients in numerous transactions involving acquisitions and dispositions (including vacant, improved or income-producing assets), complex debt and equity financing, retail leasing (including the negotiation of leases with national department stores, big box retailers, junior anchors, grocery stores and national small shop tenants), and complex development and reciprocal easement agreements. Marcia not only has the technical experience necessary for a sophisticated real estate transaction, but prides herself on partnering with her clients to implement the strategies necessary to accomplish the client's goal and get a deal done.
- Negotiated the sale of a strategic office parcel in Chicago to a developer and the resulting acquisition of 3 NNN leased properties to complete a tax free exchange.
- Negotiated the development, leasing and disposition of NNN properties leased to retailers including Walgreens, CVS, Vitamin Shoppe, McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Chase Bank and Texas Roadhouse.
- Negotiated numerous leases with retailers including Nordstrom, Von Maur, Ross Stores, Ulta, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Mariano’s, The Fresh Market, Jewel-Osco, Starbucks, Giordano’s, Potbelly Sandwich Works, Walgreens, Dollar Tree, Chick-fil-A, Chipotle, Panera, Xfinity and many others.
- Represented owner of Oak Mill Mall for more than a decade in the financing, leasing and ultimate sale of the asset.
- Represented investor in a sale/leaseback transaction involving 6 restaurant properties.
- Represented regional bank in connection with the disposition and development of an approximately 50 acre mixed use development with town home, condominium and commercial parcels following a deed-in-lieu
- Represented client in the negotiation of a $60 million line of credit and asset based financing.
- Negotiated refinance of shopping centers in Illinois, Kentucky and Wisconsin with conduit and life insurance financing.
- Represented private lender in providing bridge financing secured by transactions involving real estate and other collateral.
- Represented stalking horse purchaser in the Giordano's bankruptcy, including the negotiation of the lease for Giordano's flagship restaurant.
- Represented private equity client in the negotiation of an office lease for new corporate headquarters in Miami, Florida.
- Represented distributor in the acquisition and expansion of warehouses in Illinois (involving EDGE credits), Arizona and Wisconsin, the disposition, or leasing or refinance of existing facilities.
- Represented retail developer in the leasing and development of a 250,000 square-foot power center plus five outlot pads in the Chicagoland metropolitan area, including the negotiation of a ground lease with site development components and reciprocal easement and maintenance agreements with a national home improvement retailer and construction loan and mezzanine financing in excess of $40 million.
- Represented a developer in an approximately $145 million refinance of a historic loop office tower using a combination of public and private financing including TIF funds, a stimulus grant, tax credits and municipal bonds.
- Represented a joint venture in the assemblage of 13 commercial and residential properties for the development of a regional shopping center, including the acquisition and construction financing, sale to a national discount retailer, sale of outlot pads and retail leasing.
- Order of the Coif
- Iowa Law Review, Note & Comment Editor
- with honors and highest distinction
- Crain's Chicago Business 2022 Gen X Leaders in Accounting, Consulting and Law
- Top 50 Women in Law Award, Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, 2021
- Women of Influence Award, Best Lawyers, 2017
- Leadership Award, Coalition of Women’s Initiative in Law, 2016
Women Making An Impact Award Recipient, Law Bulletin Publishing Company, 2015
- Illinois Super Lawyers, 2011-2023
- Named as one of the:
- Top 50 Women Super Lawyers, 2015
- Rising Star, 2011-2012
- Named as one of the:
- 40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty To Watch, 2012
Alta May Hulett Award, Chicago Bar Association Alliance for Women, 2011
Top 100 Women Making a Difference, Today's Chicago Woman, 2011
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2014-2024
- Recognized in the area of Real Estate Law
- Law Bulletin Media
- Leading Lawyers, Real Estate Law: Commercial 2014-2023
- Leading Lawyers, Real Estate Law: Finance 2014-2023
Professional & Community Involvement
- Licensed Illinois Real Estate Broker
- Kohl Children's Museum of Greater Chicago
- Chair of Marketing Committee
- Past Trustee
- Illinois Legal Aid Online
- Host Committee, 2017
- Chicago Public Education Fund
- Leadership Council
- Past Member
- Coalition of Women's Initiatives in Law
- National Board Chair
- Past President of the Chicago Coalition
- Anti-Defamation League
- Past Member of Women of Achievement Committee
- International Council of Shopping Centers
News & Insights
- Event |
- Event | | Speaker
- Speaker, Structuring Complex Easement Agreements in Commercial Real Estate DealsEvent |
- Publication | Chicago Daily Law Bulletin |
- Publication |
- Publication |
- Publication |