Vikram Mathrani is a highly experienced intellectual property attorney with extensive litigation and counseling capabilities. Vikram is well-versed in many technologies, including biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, electronics, consumer products, software, industrial products, and data privacy.
Vikram litigates biotechnology and Hatch-Waxman patent cases through all stages of the litigation process, including pre-suit investigation through trial to appeal. He also represents clients in proceedings before the USPTO’s Patent Trial and Appeal Board. Vikram also enforces and defends clients’ trademark and trade secret rights.
Vikram is highly experienced in licensing matters and regularly performs due diligence in conjunction with corporate transactions.
Before Honigman, Vikram was an IP attorney at Ropes & Gray, and before that he was an engineer at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
- Represented Ironwood Pharmaceuticals in Hatch-Waxman patent infringement litigation to protect clients’ prescription digestive drug, Linzess®. Obtained consent judgments with injunctions against all defendants. (D. Del.) (Jan. 2020)
- Represented Ironwood Pharmaceuticals in IPR proceeding where Synergy Pharmaceuticals challenged client’s patent related to peptide therapeutics for the treatment of gastrointestinal disorders, obtaining an order terminating the proceedings. (PTAB) (Nov. 2018)
- Represents Hot Dog on a Stick in a trademark infringement and breach of contract action. Obtained preliminary injunction preventing unauthorized use of clients’ trademarks. (S.D. Cal.) (June 2021)
- Defended client in a data privacy class action litigation. Obtained full dismissal of all claims. (N.D. Ill.) (May 2019)
- Represented pro bono client in section 1983 action. Obtained favorable settlement. (N.D. Ill.) (Nov. 2021)
- Represented client in trade secret litigation concerning food safety labeling devices.*
- Represented client in patent litigation concerning genetically modified mice.*
- Represented client against multiple defendants in patent infringement actions involving controlled release oxycodone hydrochloride formulations.*
- Represented client in a patent infringement action involving topical gel for the treatment of atopic dermatitis.*
- *Matter handled prior to joining Honigman.
- Ropes & Gray LLP, Associate, 2008-2016
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration - Medical Device Fellowship Program, Engineer, 2004-2005
- cum laude
- Journal of International Human Rights, Technology and Publication Editor
- Chemical Engineering
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
News & Insights
- Copyright ModernisationPublication | Intellectual Property Magazine |
Seminars & Events
- Speaker, Latest Trends and Strategic Considerations for Biotech Patent Challenges at the PTAB, Annual PTAB Webinar SeriesWebinar | | New Jersey Intellectual Property Law Association (NJIPLA)
- Speaker, Examining the Latest Developments on the PTAB’s use of Discretionary Denials, Annual PTAB Webinar SeriesEvent | | New Jersey Intellectual Property Law Association (NJIPLA)