Mark Pendery is an experienced litigator who began his legal career with the Internal Revenue Service handling high-profile cases in conjunction with the U.S. Department of Justice. He focuses his practice on white collar investigations and complex business and tax matters and represents clients in both federal and state courts in proceedings involving federal agencies and various local tax agencies. His clients cover a wide range of industries, such as manufacturing, healthcare, and agriculture.
- Successfully handles business disputes, contract disputes, shareholder attacks, and complex financial and valuation issues
- Handles significant federal and state investigations
- Guides clients through IRS and state examinations and prepares administrative claims and objections
- Litigates white collar criminal cases
- Litigates tax and tax-related disputes
- Handles property tax issues and valuations for large corporate clients
- Petitioned the U.S. Tax Court on behalf of a top agricultural industry client after an audit and assessment of significant tax liability in which the IRS conceded before trial
- Represented a client in a tax shelter matter in which the IRS conceded the case based on a technicality found in the case documents
- Completed an investigation for a large public university’s Board of Trustees into whether the university satisfied its state law obligations to properly report the alleged sexual misconduct of university employees. Honigman reviewed over 24,000 documents and interviewed 18 witnesses, including all eight trustees, the university president, and numerous current and former employees.
- Concluded an investigation for the president and Board of Trustees of a public research university regarding allegations of faculty and staff misconduct and sexual harassment related to an external public relations firm. Honigman interviewed 53 witness, including faculty, staff, employees, former students, and university officials, applying their analysis to the university’s obligations to follow state and federal laws and university policies.
Indiana University Maurer School of Law, J.D.
University of Cincinnati, B.A.
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
The Best Lawyers in America
- Recognized in the areas of
- Litigation and Controversy, 2023
- Tax Law, 2023
- Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2023
- Recognized as one of America's leading business lawyers in the Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations field in Michigan
Professional & Community Involvement
State Bar of Michigan
State Bar of Kentucky
State Bar of Ohio
Grand Rapids Bar Association