Our Insurance and Reinsurance Recovery Group represents insureds and reinsureds in all aspects of insurance recovery – from negotiating policy language to analyzing claims to negotiating, advocating and litigating coverage disputes. Our singular goal is to maximize our clients’ recovery of insurance and reinsurance proceeds to which they are entitled.
Advice and Advocacy
Whether our clients are dealing with first party losses or defending third party claims, we provide support and guidance throughout the process. We analyze policies and contractual insurance requirements, evaluate coverage, and advise on reservations of rights and denials of coverage.
We advise clients on what they can do to preserve coverage – and what they must do. We advocate and negotiate on our clients’ behalf with insurers and reinsurers. Our attorneys have an established track record and reputation as tireless advocates for our clients.
Litigation and Arbitration
We litigate and arbitrate insurance disputes for corporate policyholders and their individual insureds involving every type of coverage, from first party property losses and business interruption claim to every form of liability coverage – professional and general liability, D&O, securities fraud, antitrust, cyber and data breaches. We represent captives and other alternative risk financing groups in insurance and reinsurance litigation and arbitrations domestically and internationally.
Insurance Program Review
We advise clients on contract interpretation and coverage to anticipate and prevent problems before they happen. We advise clients and work with their insurance consultants on policy wording, enhancements, clarifications, and potential gaps in coverage. We can also ensure our clients are optimizing their insurance coverage by performing a legal review of their program to determine whether they have sufficient systems in place to verify that their business is receiving the coverage it is entitled to under its own policies, commercial and reinsurance policies and contracts with third parties.
Connect with a Professional
- Secured $12 million in coverage for a first party property loss after the insurer’s initial denial;
- Successfully resolved a variety of batch claims involving captives and sexual misconduct claims with reinsurance funds totally more than $1 billion in the aggregate;
- Represented captive in 4 week arbitration in Bermuda and London involving complex reinsurance disputes arising from pre-suit settlement of numerous medical malpractice claims due to experimental procedures on hundreds of patients;
- Negotiated favorable settlement with a reinsurer involving a coverage dispute over application of the criminal acts exclusion;
- Represented insured in successful negotiations to secure coverage with cyber carrier arising out of the release of confidential business records of thousands of clients stored electronically on company’s server;
- Counseled prominent healthcare system in securing contribution from various reinsurers following the settlement of multiple medical malpractice lawsuits involving instrument sterilization claims;
- Obtained a favorable dismissal of a $30 million claim for withdrawal fees against former subscribers of a reciprocal insurer.
News & Insights
- Media |
- Emily Garrison quoted in Law360 article, "Pipeline Ransomware Attack Could Raise Cyber Insurance Bar"Media |
- Emily Garrison is quoted in Business Insurance article, "Hackers exploit system loopholes with ransomware"Media |
- Emily Garrison author's PropertyCasualty360 article, "Insurance considerations for extreme weather events"Media |
- Emily Garrison authors Law360 article, "Illinois Biometric Claim Case Highlights Core Insurance Principles"Media |
- Paula E. Litt is highlighted and quoted in the Law360 article “GCs Name Cream of the Crop Litigators”Media |
- Insurance Present Mediation: The Blind Man and The ElephantEvent | Chicago, IL,
- The "Known Loss" DoctrinePublication | The Journal of Insurance and Indemnity Law, Vol. 10, No. 4,