Honigman has substantial experience defending investigations by litigating against and working with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the Department of Justice (DOJ), and the European Commission. Examples include the following:
- In the Matter of Texas Surgeons, P.A. Defense of an antitrust investigation by the FTC and Texas Attorney General and negotiation of a consent decree on behalf of a network of general surgeons in Austin, Texas.
- U.S. v. Federation of Certified Surgeons and Specialists. Defense of a DOJ investigation and negotiation of a consent agreement on behalf of a Florida network of general surgeons.
- Defended FTC investigation of consolidated physician practice in Indiana.
- Defended DOJ investigation of automotive parts joint venture.
- U.S. v. Mercy Health Services. Defense of hospital merger.
- Defended government investigations of mergers in the automobile parts, hospital, mainframe computer software, design computer software, supermarket, oil field services equipment, and home hardware industries.
- Advocated government challenges of mergers in the hospital industry and computer testing and debugging software industry and, in some cases, worked with government agencies on those challenges
- Represented merging hospitals in Port Huron, Michigan, in negotiating a consent agreement with the FTC.
- Advocated investigation of unfair trade practices before the European Commission.
- Participated in investigation and defense of cartel issues before the European Commission.
- Defended FTC and state attorney general investigation of physician merger in Pennsylvania.