The goal of Honigman’s Class Actions practice is to facilitate the best business solution for our clients, every time. Daunting in size and scope, a class action lawsuit can undermine your business by threatening significant or catastrophic losses; impugning your reputation in the marketplace; disrupting commercial activities; and shaking the confidence of customers, shareholders, lenders, and other stakeholders. The defense of such lawsuits requires business-driven solutions, in addition to sound legal strategy and execution.
Relying on the legal skills and practical knowledge we have gained in the defense of scores of class action lawsuits filed in courts around the country, we approach your situation with a nuanced understanding of your business, your industry, and the specific challenges presented by these unwelcome claims. Regardless of the nature of the claims asserted, we work to solve your problem, not just shepherd the case through the courts, and we do so in a fashion that maximizes value without compromising results.
We have used cutting-edge strategies and aggressive litigation techniques to defeat class certification or attack the viability of the underlying claims to win early victories in multiple cases. In others, we have successfully defended class actions through discovery to victories at summary judgment and appeal. And in the most intractable cases, we have a track record of achieving creative settlements that beat the benchmarks for similar cases that have settled nationwide and that allow our clients to successfully manage the financial ramifications of class liability.
Our depth and breadth of experience with nationwide commercial class actions sets us apart from other firms of our size. We have successfully defended clients in a wide breadth of industries that cut across all major sectors. We have served as lead counsel in multistate and multi-defendant class actions, as counsel in multi-district litigation, and as lead counsel in nationwide class actions. And we have done so in dozens of courts throughout the U.S.
Connect with a Professional
- Obtained summary disposition in favor of a pharmaceutical manufacturer in a class action suit involving the safety and efficacy of a specific drug; successfully had the summary disposition upheld on appeal
- Represented a foreign multinational electronics manufacturer in a consumer protection class action lawsuit that alleged misleading product advertising
- Defended a licensed merchandise manufacturer who allegedly engaged in a conspiracy to raise, fix, and maintain prices for merchandise sold at professional stock car races sanctioned by the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, Inc. (NASCAR)
- Assisted in the defense of a long-distance telephone services provider in a class action alleging violations of the federal communications laws and common-law tort and contract claims
- Represented a leading media and marketing services company in a securities class action suit and earned a dismissal of plaintiff’s claims
- Obtained dismissal of a state court class action alleging false advertising against a sunglasses manufacturer
- Obtained dismissal of a state court class action alleging violations of state consumer protection laws against a national retail department store
- Obtained summary judgment and subsequent dismissal of a class action lawsuit against an American multinational automaker and aftermarket automotive parts manufacturer in a class action lawsuit alleging fraud in the representation of limited edition vehicles
- Represented a healthcare provider in the defense of two separate class action claims brought by uninsured patients claiming multimillion-dollar discounts
- Resolved more than a dozen environmental class actions in state and federal courts involving soil, air, and/or groundwater contamination