Tim Parilla is an attorney in Honigman’s Chicago office where his practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, including antitrust, post-closing disputes, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and product liability litigation. He has represented clients in state and federal courts across the United States and has substantial experience in arbitration and other alternative dispute resolution forums.
Tim has managed high profile cases on a day-to-day basis effectively, representing both plaintiffs and defendants. He has also tried cases to verdict in state and federal court and recently served as a first chair attorney in a federal trial. He is skilled at working with clients in a variety of industries and tailoring his legal advice to their needs.
- Served as co-lead counsel in federal jury trial that went to verdict; gave opening argument, examined and cross-examined witnesses, argued objections and pre-trial motions, and successfully argued against motion for directed verdict.
- Participated in successful resolution of multi-million dollar antitrust claims brought against loss prevention company on behalf of defendant.
- Participated in successful resolution in major antitrust litigation involving allegations of price manipulation and supply restraint of commodities by investment banks and global commodities interests.
- Participated in successful resolution of interfamily trust dispute on behalf of client.
- Defeated all causes of action brought by owner against design professional where plaintiff asserted counts for breach of contract and tortious interference via series of pretrial motions.
- Successfully obtained affirmance before 7th Circuit in legal malpractice litigation.
- Successfully defended insurance producer in appeal taken by plaintiff in dispute multi-million coverage dispute.
- Resolved claims brought against CRM/ERP consultant in multiparty dispute related to software implementation project.
- Participated in resolution of multimillion-dollar claim brought against environmental remediation consultant involved in the cleanup of LUST site; matter resolved without client making any settlement payments.
- Developed affirmative defense and prepared motion for summary judgment resulting in low value settlement of multimillion-dollar claim against design professional.
- Established evidence to defeat fraudulent concealment claim prior to low value settlement of multimillion-dollar claim against design professional.
- Participated in Cook County wrongful death trial resulting in defense verdict arising out of aviation disaster where plaintiff sought over $39 million in damages.
- Successfully defeated multiple causes of action brought by subcontractors and general contractor against design professional, including breach of warranty, implied indemnity, unjust enrichment, and promissory estoppel arising out of construction of large commercial development.
- Represented insurance producer and coordinated global settlement to resolve insurance dispute arising out of total loss of structure from fire.
- Represented president of condominium association in lawsuit alleging tortious interference and breach of fiduciary duty claims brought by unit owners. Successfully moved to dismiss and defeated appeal of unit owner’s claim.
- Represented employers in response to employment discrimination claims and successfully resolved IEPA charges brought by several ex-employees alleging racial discrimination resulting in IEPA’s decision to withdraw investigation.
- Successfully settled lawsuit brought against design consultant for nuisance-value settlement after conducting site inspection and retaining expert witness to refute plaintiff’s liability theory.
- Obtained partial summary judgment at the outset of arbitration in dispute over licensing agreement, significantly narrowing scope of discovery.
- Prevailed on motion compelling resolution of post-closing dispute via purchase agreement’s ADR mechanism in response to eight-figure lawsuit.
- Palmersheim & Mathew LLP, Associate, 2019-2023
- Adler Murphy & McQuillen LLP, Associate, 2016-2019
- Dean’s Scholar
- Judge Albert C. Hunt National Moot Court Award Recipient
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
Professional & Community Involvement
- Legal Aid Chicago - McCutcheon Legal Clinic, Uptown
News & Insights
- The Problem With Collectability In Legal Malpractice CasesPublication | Law360 |
- INSIGHT: Covid-19 May Mean the End of ‘Lucky Break’ for Attorney Malpractice ClaimsPublication | Bloomberg Law |