Jeremy Lockhart is an attorney in the Litigation department who concentrates his practice on complex commercial litigation. His broad range of litigation experience includes white collar criminal defense and investigations, contract disputes, disputes arising out of private equity transactions, data security and privacy matters, business torts, injunction proceedings, class action defense, and high-stakes complex commercial litigation.
- Represents private equity firms and their portfolio companies in commercial litigation and internal investigations typically involving allegations of criminal or civil fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and breach of contract
- Represents public and privately held companies and their officers and directors in shareholder disputes, including claims arising in connection with the purchase and sale of the business
- Represents clients in class action matters involving a variety of issues, including defending against Telephone Consumer Protection Act claims
- Represents clients in complex commercial litigation matters involving a variety of issues, including fraud, securities, contracts, trade secrets, real estate, shareholder and partnership, noncompete, and business tort issues
- Counsels clients on information management issues, including e-discovery and data privacy and security in both litigation and non-litigation settings
- Counsels international automotive manufacturers in commercial disputes with their suppliers, distributors, customers, or competitors
- Possesses experience in several aspects of litigation—from pre-filing investigations through post-trial motions—including e-discovery, written discovery, depositions, and significant motion practice
Private Equity Litigation and Internal Investigations
- Assisted in obtaining the dismissal of multi-million dollar complaint filed in Michigan state court against a publicly traded company alleging breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract, among other claims
- Represented private equity client in dispute with former owner and CEO of portfolio company over fraudulent representations and warranties made in connection with sale
- Represented private equity portfolio company in unfair competition litigation with a competitor entity
- Represented a private equity portfolio company in an internal investigation following a terminated employee’s allegations of fraud and harassment
- Conducted an internal investigation of a private equity portfolio company following a terminated employee’s allegations of fraud and harassment; assisted in the development of a plan for corrective action and dissuaded the former employee from pursuing claims
- Assisted in an internal investigation regarding suspected unauthorized access to a client’s computer network system by a former IT employee
White Collar Defense
- Conducted an internal investigation for a private equity firm following the discovery of a multi-year accounting fraud by its portfolio company’s Chief Financial Officer, managed e-Discovery and data collection efforts, and assisted in the negotiation of a settlement with a national accounting firm on related accounting malpractice and gross negligence claims
- Assisted clients in internal investigations to determine compliance with federal regulations, including FCPA and SEC issues.
- Advised clients in responding to SEC, DOJ, IRS, and other government subpoenas.
- Successfully defended a company executive charged in connection with widespread public corruption and bribery investigation and suit.
- Defended federal lawsuit filed against a publicly traded company and its officers and directors alleging securities violations, breach of fiduciary duty, and other claims
- Represented a privately held corporation as second-chair trial counsel in a jury trial involving trade secret and confidentiality issues
- Assisted clients in responding to inquiries and/or investigations by federal and state agencies
- Represented private equity portfolio company in connection with class action litigation alleging violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act
- Assisted in defeating class certification in federal court in Ohio on behalf of company in a putative environmental class action arising out of the alleged discharge of hazardous material
University of Michigan Law School, J.D.
- magna cum laude
- Michigan Journal of Gender & Law, Articles Editor, Articles Selection Committee; Governing Council of the State Bar of Michigan, Student Representative
Ohio University, B.A.
- cum laude; Alpha Kappa Delta Honors Society
- Ohio University Men’s Rowing Team
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Michigan Super Lawyers, Recognized as a Rising Star, 2017-2022
Professional & Community Involvement
State Bar of Michigan
News & Insights
- Press Release |
- Press Release |
- Ethical Considerations When Dealing With Incentive OpportunitiesPublication | Journal of Multistate Taxation and Incentives, Vol. 22, No. 8 | Nov-Dec 2012