Mr. Weber counsels and represents clients on a wide range of intellectual property matters, dealing in particular with patent procurement and prosecution, trademarks, trade secrets, copyrights, licensing of IP, and IP litigation. He is especially experienced in matters involving chemical technologies, and his background includes having worked at a Pfizer predecessor company and Dow Chemical. Mr. Weber assists clients in developing and implementing patent life-cycle management strategies, drafting and negotiating licensing, joint development, and other related agreements, conducting IP due diligence, and rendering legal opinions on patent validity and non-infringement. He drafts and prosecutes patent applications in a variety of technical areas, such as electrochemistry, agricultural science, inorganic and polymer chemistries, material science, nanotechnology, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices. He also assists clients in managing worldwide prosecution of patent applications. Mr. Weber represents clients in energy, environmental, pharmaceutical, agricultural, medical device, and automotive industries as well as academic institutions.
- Represented a multinational pharmaceutical company in a commercial development agreement for a small molecule drug candidate under clinical development, managed all IP matters associated with the commercialization efforts, and coordinated patent strategy between the agreement stakeholders.
- Created and implemented a multi-tiered, platform technology licensing strategy for a pharmaceutical start-up.
- Represented battery companies developing rechargeable battery technologies
- Represented a pharmaceutical start-up company developing small molecule and biologic pharmaceuticals
- Advised a multinational pharmaceutical company in developing a global patent strategy for a Phase II drug candidate, which involved obtaining patent issuances on the drug substance and implementing a patent life-cycle management plan
- Drafted and negotiated a variety of agreements, including technology licensing, co-development and commercialization, contract manufacturing, supply, material transfer, nondisclosure, and clinical trial agreements
- Conducted intellectual property due diligence for venture fund clients regarding potential investments, large pharmaceutical and biotechnology corporations regarding potential asset purchases and mergers, and start-up companies regarding potential licensing of university or third-party owned technologies
- Obtained numerous U.S. Patents, including:
- U.S. Patent No. 8,802,304: Bifunctional (rechargeable) air electrodes comprising a corrosion-resistant outer layer and conductive inner layer
- U.S. Patent No. D586,739: Battery housing
- U.S. Patent No. D586,738: Battery housing
- U.S. Patent No. 7,488,558: Homogeneous separator
- U.S. Patent No. 8,278,297: Protein kinase inhibitors
- U.S. Patent No. 8,277,783: Permanganate containing whitening compositions and methods of their use
- U.S. Patent No. 8,252,787: Protein kinase inhibitors
- U.S. Patent No. 8,247,421: 5-cyano-4-(pyrrolo [2,3B] pyridine-3-yl)-pyrimidine derivatives useful as protein kinase inhibitors
- U.S. Patent No. 8,188,281: Azaindoles useful as inhibitors of JAK and other protein kinases
- U.S. Patent No. 8,163,917: Azaindoles useful as inhibitors of Janus kinases
- U.S. Patent No. 8,129,387: Substituted 5,6-dihydroimidazo [1,5-F] pteridines useful as protein kinase inhibitors
- U.S. Patent No. 8,067,450: Thiazolidinedione analogues for the treatment of metabolic diseases
- U.S. Patent No. 7,767,816: Azaindoles useful as inhibitors of janus kinases
- U.S. Patent No. 7,563,795: Phenyl-piperazine derivatives as modulators of muscarinic receptors
- U.S. Patent No. 7,446,112: Modulators of muscarinic receptors
- Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone, P.L.C.
- Warner Lambert (now Pfizer, Inc.)
- Aastrom Biosciences, Inc.
- Dow Chemical Company
- Jurisprudence Award in Advanced Criminal Procedure
- Moot Court, Board Member, 2002-2003; Inns of the American Court, 2002-2003
- Organic Chemistry
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Professionals, Recognized as one of the World’s Leading Patent Practitioners, 2023
- Michigan Super Lawyers, Recognized as a Rising Star, 2013-2015
Professional & Community Involvement
State Bar of Michigan
American Intellectual Property Law Association
American Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Section
Materials Research Society
News & Insights
- Navigating Obstacles to Attract Capital ResourcesEvent | Novi, MI | | The Battery Show 2013 | Speaker
- Biotech and the Proprosed §101 Legistlation, ABA Biotech Section, July 24, 2019.
- Semiconductor Nanocrystals Functionalized with Antimony Telluride Zintl Ions for Nanostructured ThermoelectricsPublication | Journal of the American Chemical Society, Volume 132, Issue 15 |