Alex is a registered patent attorney that provides business-minded counseling at all stages of the patent lifecycle. His practice includes synthesizing invention disclosures from engineers and scientists, drafting and prosecuting patent applications in the U.S. and internationally, identifying IP portfolio growth opportunities, and evaluating patentability, freedom-to-operate, and infringement concerns.
Alex supports clients ranging from individual inventors to in-house legal teams at large corporations. His experience spans a variety of mechanical, electro-mechanical, and software-based technologies in the automotive, consumer products, and data processing and storage industries, among others.
- Hitachi Automotive Systems, Ltd.
- cum laude
- Journal on Emerging Technology, Senior Editor
- Intellectual Property and Entrepreneurship Clinic, Legal Internship
- Athletic Department, NCAA Compliance Externship
- Applied Engineering
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
News & Insights
- Publication | Compliance & Risks |
Alexander A. Knuth, Lane Violation: Why the NCAA’s Amateurism Rules Have Overstepped Antitrust Protection & How to Correct, 95 Notre Dame L. Rev. Reflection 74 (2019)
Alex Knuth, Search Engine Optimization: Why Top Results Can’t Always be Trusted, Notre Dame J. Emerging Tech. Blog (Jan. 30, 2020)