We have had extensive experience in antitrust and other trade regulation matters involving the title insurance industry for more than 25 years. Specific matters include the following:
- In the Matter of Lawyers Title Insurance Corporation. Intervention in a Michigan Insurance Bureau proceeding alleging violation of state antikickback laws and antitrust laws.
- Jergess v. Transnation Title Insurance Company. Class action alleging unlawful kickbacks in the pricing of title insurance to builders.
- Mozen v. Transnation Title Insurance Company. Defense of purported class action alleging unauthorized practice of law in the performance of real estate closings.
- Commonwealth Title Insurance Company v. Hopper. Claim of defalcation of funds by title insurance agent.
- Counseling of title insurance trade association regarding antitrust issues.
- Representation of title insurance companies before state regulators.
- First American Title Company v. DeVaugh. Monopolization claims brought on behalf of title insurers against Michigan registers of deeds.