We have been among the most active firms nationally in bringing private actions on behalf of hospitals, managed care plans and health care systems based on claims of violations of the antitrust laws. These claims have frequently involved challenges to actions by dominant hospital systems and health plans. The actions have sought both damages and injunctive relief. A number of these actions are currently pending.
We also counsel our clients on alternatives to litigation in order to achieve their objectives and to limit the harm done to them from anticompetitive actions by the dominant systems in their markets.
- Saint Alphonsus v. St. Luke's Health System, Ltd. Challenge to hospital acquisition of physician practice.
- BRFHH Shreveport v. Willis-Knighton. Challenge to threatened agreements between hospital and medical school practice.
- BRFHH Shreveport v. Willis-Knighton. Claim of coercion of hospital medical staff in order to suppress cooperation with hospital and thereby to harm competition.
- Luke’s Hospital, et al. v. ProMedica Health System, Inc., et al.Challenge to anticompetitive actions by dominant hospital system.
- Trinity Health Corporation v. Anesthesia Associates of Ann Arbor, PLLC. Antitrust challenge to noncompete clauses covering hospital-based physicians at 6 hospitals.
- Health Alliance Plan of Michigan v. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Mutual Insurance Company. Claim arising out of most favored nations clauses.