Larry Woodard is an experienced attorney who focuses his practice on real estate law. He represents Fortune 500 companies, developers, regional and national banks, institutional investors, special servicers, institutions of higher education, units of local government, REITs, contractors, subcontractors, material suppliers, landlords, tenants, condominium associations, property managers, receivers and real estate brokers in the development, management, financing, construction, leasing, zoning, acquisition and disposal of their real estate interests, across all asset classes.
Clients engage Larry to handle complex matters, involving multiple parties, properties and sources of capital, encompassing multiple states or countries. As complementary components to his real estate practice, Larry has significant experience structuring investment entities, joint ventures and syndications, loan workouts and foreclosures, as well as tactical oversight of litigation strategy for mechanics lien, construction defect and real estate litigation. Larry has been on all sides of the deal, handling every stage of the life span of a real estate development: from concept and capital stack, to land use and economic incentives, through due diligence, financing and acquisition, during construction or redevelopment, to lease-up and disposition.
- Auto Plant Redevelopment: Led a team of 12 lawyers in representing foreign auto parts manufacturer in the purchase and redevelopment of a former light duty truck plant, a $250 million project representing one of the country’s largest capital contributions from a Chinese corporation. Deal included slicing a building in two, significant environmental issues and more than 10 separate easement agreements.
- Creation of “Metroburb”: Led negotiation, acquisition, rezoning and redevelopment of 1.6 million square foot corporate campus into office, retail, residential and hotel mixed use project. Obtained $115 million in TIF incentives and invented new way to address Cook County tax appeal process on TIF projects.
- National Retailer Redevelopment: Represented one the country’s largest retailers in restructuring of its real estate portfolio, including parcel redevelopment and lease assignments, negotiation of REA amendments, sublets, lease sales and buyouts.
- The Glen: Represented units of local government in the regulation and disposition of village-owned multi-use planned unit development for redevelopment of 1,100 acre former naval airbase. Lead counsel for construction and CC&Rs; co-counsel for dispositions.
- Office REIT: Assisted in initial public offering of office REIT and restructuring of its portfolio through subdivisions and reciprocal easement agreements.
- Restructure of Midwest Real Estate Portfolio: Represented Fortune 50 corporation in restructuring of its entire Midwest real estate portfolio, including preparing vertical subdivisions, reciprocal easement agreements, joint venture agreements and sales of fractional interests in the portfolio.
- Urban Retail Developer’s Corporate and Real Estate Counsel: Prepared all offering, organizational and conveyance documents for developer of mixed-use projects, infill retail and grocery-anchored shopping centers.
- Corporate Campus Multi-Phased Construction Project: Represented multinational aerospace company in negotiation of all construction contracts for its multi-phased $550 million corporate campus.
- Contract Negotiator for National Contractor: Negotiated construction contracts for nationally-known general contractor and design-builder.
Acquisitions and Dispositions
- Suburban Office Purchase: Represented real estate fund in purchase of $88 million office campus in Chicago suburbs.
- Shopping Center Portfolio: Counseled shopping center developer in sale of $60 million portfolio.
- Industrial Build to Suit: Lead counsel for foreign auto parts manufacturer in $140 million land acquisition, economic incentives, build-to-suit and construction contracts.
- Total Building Engagement: Head leasing attorney for 1.6 million square foot office building.
- Sale and Leaseback: Negotiated sale and leaseback of $66 million medical office campus and leasehold interest in air rights parcel. Started and finished transaction in client’s 18-day requirement.
- Regional Shopping Center Owner: Represented urban infill retail developer in all leasing engagements.
- National Tenant Representation: Lead counsel for national construction company in office tenant transactions throughout the country.
- National Bank Leasing Counsel: Represented national bank in connection with the leasing of its Midwest retail locations.
Lending, Workouts and Restructuring
- Lender’s Counsel: Lead real estate counsel in $108 million loan secured by hotel, FF&E, condominium, declarant rights and leasehold interests.
- Publicly Traded Purchaser of Distressed Loans: Midwest counsel for publicly traded financial services company in foreclosure of its loans and the management, leasing and sale of its real estate portfolio.
- Distressed Real Estate: Performed bulk purchases of commercial paper, partially constructed developments, distressed condominium developments, sale of OREO assets through receivership sales, deeds-in-lieu, sales through consent foreclosures, assignments of developer/declarant rights, sales of sheriff’s certificates, etc. for national banks and most national special servicers.
- Expert Witness: Retained as expert witness for cases involving commercial real estate sales, condominium conversions and collateralization of Illinois land trust beneficial interests.
- Real Estate Developer and Mechanics Lien Litigation: Obtained dismissal of lawsuit with prejudice against real estate developer and its principals. Obtained multi-million dollar judgment on behalf of contractor in its enforcement of its construction contact and foreclosure of its mechanics lien.
- Condominium Conversions and Sales: Lead counsel in staggered condominium conversions, representing one of Chicago’s largest condominium converters.
- National Equity Based Lending Program: Counseled client in compliance matters and prepared form documents for use in national campaign of equity-based real estate lending program.
- Unique Real Estate Issues: Conveying through beneficial interests in land trusts; sale and mortgage of ground leasehold interests; 1031 exchanges; joint ventures; conveyance through membership/stock/partnership interests; note purchases; sale-leasebacks; tenancy in common interests; assumption of debt; staggered sales of portfolio through master agreement; articles of agreement for deed; air rights purchases/sales and mortgages; light easements; sight line easements; golf ball easements; licenses; riparian water rights; adverse possession; easements by necessity; exterior signage and billboard parcels; wind farms; solar leases; cell towers; etc.
- Miller Canfield, Paddock and Stone, P.L.C., Principal
- John Marshall Law School, Adjunct Professor
- Woodard Law Offices LLC, Principal and Founder
- Matanky Realty Group, Associate General Counsel
- Real Estate
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Professional & Community Involvement
- Former Director, Circuit Court of Cook County, Fifth District Pro Bono Legal Clinic
- Chicago Bar Association, Real Property, Asset Protection, Mechanics Lien and Condominium Subcommittees member
- Illinois State Bar Association, Real Property Section member
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section member
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Northern Illinois Commercial Association of Realtors
- Licensed Illinois Real Estate Broker and Real Estate Brokerage Continuing Education Instructor
News & Insights
- Media | Honigman Podcast |
- Media | Honigman Podcast |
- Publication |
- Publication |
- BOOM Goes the Premises! The Interplay between Casualty Clauses, Rent Abatement and Business Interruption/Loss of Rent Insurance in Commercial LeasesPublication |
- Are You Buried in Your Ground Lease? Issues in Entering into, Transferring and Financing Ground Leases, and Redeveloping Ground Leased PropertyPublication |