Ka'Nea K. Brooks is a litigator who focuses on a wide range of intellectual property and complex commercial litigation matters. Her practice includes trademark, copyright, trade dress, and trade secret matters throughout the United States, including representing clients before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Ka’Nea represents clients in trademark disputes before the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) and before federal courts. She assists in representing national and international clients including those in the automotive, health care, food and beverage, and consumer products industries. She assists with various stages of litigation for numerous corporate clients, including written discovery, depositions, dispositive motion practice, courtroom advocacy, and appeals, as well as developing trial and settlement strategies.
In addition, Ka’Nea counsels clients on global and domestic brand development and protection through trademark clearance, prosecution and management. She represents clients in cease and desist efforts and internet enforcement proceedings.
Ka’Nea is also a member of Honigman’s Emerging Companies Group.
Prepared arguments, evidence, and witnesses at preliminary injunction hearings in complex trademark disputes
Represented clients before the International Trade Commission involving complex trademark and trade dress infringement, and unfair competition claims while simultaneously proceeding on parallel federal court claims.
Obtained summary judgment in trademark infringement case for well-known retail client.
Assisted in preparation of expert witnesses across various disciplines and industries in drafting reports, trial preparation, and depositions.
Obtained favorable outcome in breach of contract cases in both state and federal court.
Represented retail and consumer products clients in trademark infringement, trade dress infringement, and false designation suits.
Achieved favorable outcome for clients before the United States Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Served as an intern for Justice Robert Benham in the Georgia Supreme Court.
- Center for Multicultural Affairs, Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, MI, Assistant Coordinator, 2013-2014
- Brenda Scott Academy, Detroit, MI, 4th Grade Teacher, Lead Facilitator, 2012-2013
- Emory Law Dean's List; Moffet Litigation Award; Warner Norcross and Judd Diversity Scholarship, Recipient; American Association for Justice Richard D. Hailey Scholarship, Recipient
- The Order of the Barristers, Member
- Sociology and Criminology
- magna cum laude
- The Best Lawyers in America, Recognized as "One to Watch," 2021-2022
- Recognized in the areas of Intellectual Property Law and Litigation- Intellectual Property
- State Bar of Michigan 2020 Pro Bono Honor Roll Tier 1, Recipient
Awarded the National Black Lawyers Top 40 Under 40, 2021
Professional & Community Involvement
Volunteer with Cross Cultural Solutions, Salvador, Brazil
Camp Counselor at Darnell White Law Camp, Ypsilanti, MI
State Bar of Michigan
Wolverine Bar Association
American Bar Association