Chris Jacobson is a commercial litigation attorney with 10+ years of significant and diverse practice experience within public and private sectors. At Honigman LLP, Chris works closely and collaboratively with attorneys and clients on litigation matters, including complex e-discovery projects and state tax disputes. Chris has substantial experience utilizing Relativity e-discovery software and, as a tax litigator, Chris partners with the State and Local Tax Practice Group to formulate strategic cost-sensitive responses to tax decisions issued by the Michigan Department of Treasury.
Prior to joining Honigman LLP, Chris represented municipal clients in private practice in Grand Rapids, worked as in-house counsel for the Municipal Employees’ Retirement System of Michigan and served in Michigan state government for approximately eight years, including as an Assistant Attorney General for Revenue and Tax. As an AAG, Chris represented the Michigan Department of Treasury in all stages of tax litigation before the Michigan Tax Tribunal, Michigan Court of Claims and Michigan appellate courts. Prior to his appointment as an AAG, Chris worked as a compliance specialist for the multi-billion dollar State of Michigan Retirement Systems for public school employees, state employees and judges.
- Analyzed thousands of documents produced during the course of antitrust litigation utilizing Relativity e-discovery software.
- Assisted with deposition and trial preparation in Michigan breach of fiduciary duties and minority oppression lawsuit.
- Assisted with the negotiation of a favorable settlement of a multi-million dollar business tax final assessment issued by the Michigan Department of Treasury.
- Represented clients at informal conference with the Michigan Department of Treasury on disputes of sales tax final assessments.
- Represented cities, villages and townships throughout west Michigan and the Upper Peninsula on municipal issues, including property tax litigation.
- Represented the Municipal Employees’ Retirement System of Michigan for the drafting, review and negotiation of various investment documents, including limited partnership agreements, subscription agreements and side letters.
- Appeared and argued at trial and appellate court proceedings on behalf of the Michigan Department of Treasury.
- State of Michigan, Department of Attorney General, Assistant Attorney General, Lansing, MI
- State of Michigan, Department of Treasury, Bureau of Investments, Compliance Specialist, East Lansing, MI
- Certificates of Merit in Advanced Writing, Research and Writing and Business Planning
- Three-year Fitzgerald Class Honors Scholarship
- cum laude
- Lee Honors College
Professional & Community Involvement
State Bar of Michigan
- Taxation Section
Detroit Economic Club
News & Insights
- “Your Client Received a Notice from the Michigan Department of Treasury: Now What?”, Co-presenter with June Summers Haas State Bar of Michigan, Taxation Section 2018 Fundamentals of Taxation Boot Camp
- “An Interview with the Honorable Michael J. Talbot”Publication | Michigan Tax Lawyer, Volume XLIV, Issue 3 | Summer 2018