The Regulatory Law Department has handled numerous matters before state and federal administrative agencies, including cases before the Michigan Public Service Commission, and representation of clients in matters involving the Michigan Department of Labor, the Department of Natural Resources, the Insurance Bureau, and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. We are experienced in matters such as:
- Representing clients in a wide variety of telecommunications matters;
- Defending complaints filed with regulatory agencies;
- Representing clients in obtaining licenses or certificates;
- Rate increase requests;
- Applications for approval of power supply and gas supply cost factors;
- Requests for approval of depreciation rates;
- Obtaining approval for self-insurance;
- Providing expert testimony in take-or-pay disputes between a natural gas pipeline and producers;
- Drafting natural gas purchase contracts;
- Natural gas by-pass disputes;
- Special contract approvals;
- Cable TV rate regulation and franchising;
- Drafting legislation;
- Assisting clients on energy needs related issues; and
- Negotiating Pole Attachment Agreements.
Clients who are involved in matters before state and federal regulatory agencies frequently call on the experienced attorneys of the Regulatory Law Department at Honigman Miller Schwartz and Cohn LLP® for knowledgeable, effective representation. Our location in the firm's Lansing office provides clients with the added benefit of proximity to many of the state agencies.
We have handled numerous matters before state and federal administrative agencies, including complex energy and telecommunication cases before the Michigan Public Service Commission, and representation of clients in a wide variety of administrative matters involving the Michigan Department of Career Development, the Department of Natural Resources, the Office of Financial and Insurance Services, the Liquor Control Commission, and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. We also handle such matters before the Michigan Circuit Courts, Michigan Court of Appeals, Michigan Supreme Court, U.S. District Courts, and U.S. Court of Appeals. Our attorneys include the former Chairman of the Michigan Public Service Commission and the Insurance Commissioner of Michigan.
Our attorneys who engage in the liquor law practice provide legal services in all areas of the unique and heavily regulated beverage alcohol industry, including the manufacture, distribution, marketing, and retail sales of alcoholic beverages in Michigan. The experienced attorneys who practice in this area include the former chief counsel to the Michigan Liquor Control Commission, who has made numerous liquor law presentations to groups including the Federal Trade Commission, the National Association of Attorneys General, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms, and industry interest groups. The firm represents a variety of clients, from multi-national corporations to individuals.
We are experienced in matters such as:
- Representing clients in a wide variety of telecommunications matters
- Defending complaints filed with regulatory agencies
- Representing clients in obtaining licenses or certificates
- Rate increase requests
- Applications for approval of power supply and gas supply cost factors
- Requests for approval of depreciation rates
- Obtaining approval for self-insurance
- Providing expert testimony in take-or-pay disputes between a natural gas pipeline and producers
- Drafting natural gas purchase contracts
- Natural gas by-pass disputes
- Special contract approvals
- Cable TV rate regulation and franchising
- Drafting legislation
- Assisting clients on energy needs related issues
- Negotiating pole attachment agreements
- Liquor license transactions
- Liquor violation proceedings
- Litigation and appeals of adverse liquor licensing or violation decisions
- Negotiating and resolving liquor law conflicts involving distribution agreements
- Liquor advertising, promotion, and marketing issues involving regulations and rules
- Alcohol importation and exportation matters
The Regulatory Law Department is proud to represent a number of companies and entities in successfully dealing with regulatory agencies and the regulatory process. Our clients receive the highest level of professional counsel and representation.
Our Attorneys and Staff
The Regulatory Law Department is comprised of distinguished professionals with many years of experience as practitioners, lecturers, and authors in their field. We also regularly call upon and receive the support of other attorneys in the firm, which enables us to respond to the varied legal needs of our clients. Our liquor law practice attorneys work closely with the firm's large Real Estate Practice, in order to provide all legal services necessary with commercial real estate transactions that involve liquor licenses. Biographical information and other credentials for attorneys of interest are provided separately in this packet.