Honigman’s Mergers and Acquisitions practice is ranked as one if the top in the nation by U.S. News & World Report/Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" and among the top 20 in terms of deal volume by Pitchbook. Both organizations are recognized resources for ranking law firm practices throughout the country. Honigman is nationally recognized as a leader in middle-market legal matters. Honigman was counsel on more than 204 corporate transactions that closed in 2015 at a value of $13.92 billion, with the number of transactions growing 12 percent over 2014. Of the 204 transaction, 107 totaling nearly $8 billion were mergers and acquisitions.
Our attorneys have extensive experience handling a wide variety of corporate transactions representing acquirers, sellers, targets, issuers, individuals, financial institutions and borrowers, among others. We can provide a comprehensive array of services for all phases of a transaction from helping to select the deal team and due diligence through closing. Our clients value our ability to work pragmatically and cost-effectively.
Our clients range from entrepreneurs, start-ups, small-cap and closely held regional companies, to large, multinational private and public corporations. We are equally adept at handling complex, sophisticated transactions as well as smaller, more routine matters. In addition to our strong M&A capabilities, the group has a leading reputation for both securities and corporate governance.
Our creative can-do mindset often helps us to generate alternative approaches that can move a transaction forward and achieve the desired result that best serves a client’s interests. Since we represent both strategic and financial buyers of businesses, as well as corporate and individual sellers, we understand the motivations of the parties involved and the factors that can impact a potential deal. With this insight, our lawyers are skilled at finding ways to resolve the parties' differences before they develop into potential deal breakers.
We work with a wide range of investment bankers, auditors and other professionals to assist our clients in meeting their financing needs. Our experience includes extensive dealings with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), as well as with state regulators and their Blue Sky regulations. We are familiar with the varied financial instruments that have been developed to suit particular circumstances, such as preferred stock, subordinated debt, shareholder rights, warrants, options, convertible and exchangeable instruments and proprietary financial products that have been developed by investment banking firms.
Honigman prides itself on understanding our clients' businesses, focusing on their objectives, responding rapidly to their needs and providing the level of service appropriate for each particular circumstance. Whether structuring a complicated and novel transaction, conducting a difficult negotiation or handling a day-to-day matter, we strive to produce exceptional results for our clients at a reasonable cost.
- Represented a Midwest based automotive parts retailer with respect to its divestiture
- Represented a leading provider of aftermarket automotive parts based in the Midwest with respect to its acquisition of a distribution company in the automotive parts aftermarket business
- Represented one of the top automotive suppliers in the world with respect to its acquisition of an automotive holding company
- Represented an automotive supplier of electronics manufacturing services, solenoids and wiring with respect to its divestiture to a California based company
- Advised a leading provider of aftermarket automotive parts based in the Midwest with respect to its acquisition of an automotive parts supplier
- Counseled a Midwest based medical device development company with respect to its divestiture
- Represented a Midwest based battery technology company with respect to its divestiture
- Advised a Midwest based neurotechnology company with respect to its divestiture
- Counseled a diversified manufacturer of engineered and applied products with respect to its acquisition of a leading supplier and manufacturer of innovative solutions and components for the cosmetic packaging, personal care packaging, household products packaging and automotive packaging markets
- Represented a Midwest based provider of services and solutions for steel mills, construction developers, road-building companies, cement producers, and various industries worldwide with respect to its acquisition of a leading financial services firm
- Advised a Midwest based manufacturer of components for the transportation and automotive industries with respect to its divestiture
News & Resources
- 2014 Strategic Buyer/Public Target Mergers and Acquisitions Deal Points Study(2015)American Bar Association's Business Law Section