Honigman’s Matrimonial and Family Law Practice Group provides individualized and sensitive counsel responsive to each family’s unique needs. We offer modern, professional services that cover many aspects of the family relationship, including prenuptial agreements, postnuptial agreements, divorce, alimony, child support, child custody and parenting time.
Our attorneys’ experience ranges from handling amicable to high conflict divorces. We represent clients at all stages of divorce proceedings, annulments and separate maintenance proceedings. Our goal is always to provide experienced, high quality and compassionate representation that achieves the best possible result for our clients.
Honigman's attorneys also have experience with complex matters such as multi-jurisdictional custody concerns, spouses with foreign citizenship and expatriate issues. We strive to stay on the leading edge of evolving topics such as disputed assets in domestic partnership arrangements and same-sex marriages.
Beyond the matrimonial matters-at-hand, our comprehensive representation also includes measured, thoughtful advice relevant to various stages of the marital union. We counsel individuals desirous of protecting and preserving their estates as they contemplate marriage; those struggling to preserve a troubled marriage; those who believe their property settlements were unfair; and people questioning their current parenting time allotments or alimony and support amounts.
Our record of success in the courtroom and in the negotiation process is well known. Our cutting-edge techniques and technologies provide a thorough analysis of each individual’s financial and family situation. This process may include determining the value of businesses, stock interests, hidden assets, deferred compensation, professional practices, retirement benefits, real estate and other assets. By investigating the entire situation, our team can devise an effective strategy and determine the most favorable outcome in the equitable division of property and the tax consequences of those divisions.
Honigman matrimonial clients receive the benefit of immediate access to successful and experienced attorneys in the areas of tax, estate planning, employee benefits and pensions, health care, insurance, real estate, corporate, immigration and litigation, who consult with our Matrimonial and Family Law Practice Group when needed. Where firms strictly devoted to family law often need to consult with outside sources, our clients receive comprehensive advice in one place with one team.
News & Resources
- Joseph Aviv is featured in the Oakland Press article “Joseph Aviv elected president of American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Michigan Chapter”(July 28, 2015)
- Joseph Aviv is featured in the DBusiness article “Honigman Partner to Lead American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers in Michigan”(June 24, 2015)
- Jason R. Abel’s filing is quoted in The Detroit News article “Divorce case exposes bickering between filmmaker Michael Moore, wife”(July 22, 2014)
- Joseph Aviv profiled in the Grand Rapids Legal News article "Lawyer shares domestic law expertise with his students"(May 3, 2013)
- Honigman ranked nationally by U.S. News - Best Lawyers® 2013 “Best Law Firms”(November 12, 2012)
- 100 Honigman attorneys named in Best Lawyers® in America for 2013(September 20, 2012)
- Honigman ranked nationally in 2011 U.S. News Media Group and Best Lawyers®(November 16, 2011)
- Honigman attorneys named in Best Lawyers® in America for 2012(November 7, 2011)
- Seventy-six Honigman attorneys named in 2010 edition of Best Lawyers®(September 16, 2009)
- Family Financial Planning for Troubled Times, The Community House, Birmingham, MINovember 12, 2013
- Income and Cash Flow, Form W-2, Schedule C and Schedule E, Part I, Advanced Family Law Annual Seminar, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Birmingham, MichiganMay 2, 2013
- Making the Most of Expert Valuations in Distributing Marital Property, Michigan Family Law Practice for Paralegals, Half Moon LLC, Dearborn, MIJuly 19, 2007
- From The Family Business To The Antique Teacup Collection: Making The Most Of Expert Valuations In Distributing Marital Property(Special Edition 2007)Michigan Family Law Journal
- Buy-Sell Agreements in Divorce(November 2006)ICLE Family & Closely Held Business Institute
- Enforcement of Property Settlements(February 2005)ICLE
- Separate Property in Michigan: Determination of Active vs. Passive Appreciation(May 2004)American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- The Legal Significance of Pricing Formulae in Buy-Sell Agreements in the Equitable Division of Property - an Open Question in Michigan(March 2002)31 Michigan Family L. J. 3