Honigman’s Hospitality and Lodging Practice Group consists of attorneys who are nationally recognized authorities in the area of liquor and gaming regulatory compliance on the local, state and federal levels. Several of our attorneys formerly served in high-profile, industry-related government regulatory positions and have authored, implemented, administered and enforced many of the state and federal laws that currently govern the gaming and liquor control side of the industry.
Our attorneys advise and represent major stakeholders within the hospitality and gaming industry, including luxury hotel developers, real estate investment trusts (REITs), investors, owners, operators, construction contractors, management contractors, restaurants, suppliers to the hospitality and gaming industries, and tribal and non-tribal governments located throughout the United States.
Honigman advises clients on the acquisition and finance of multimillion-dollar hotel developments located in urban markets in gateway cities across the country. Our attorneys assist with real estate portfolio management and optimize the value of properties through superior transaction and management execution. We also assist with the negotiation of hotel operating agreements between owners and management companies, and negotiate leases between hotel owners and upscale restaurant tenants.
Our gaming services include business entity selection, organization and operations; mergers and acquisitions; financing and securities offerings; SEC reporting and compliance; tax guidance, hearings and appeals; Title 31 currency transaction reporting and compliance; real estate acquisition and development; zoning and land use; construction and land use; construction contracts; building, environmental, public health, and safety code requirements and compliance; gaming, horse racing and liquor licensing; labor and employment counseling and litigation; and bankruptcy and business reorganization.
Honigman's representation in legal matters, simple as well as complex, focuses on responsive, proactive counsel emphasizing avoidance of risk and positive results.
News & Resources
- J. Adam Rothstein is mentioned in the Law360 article “GCs Name Favorite Real Estate Attys”(February 7, 2016)
- Karen R. Pifer is featured in the Inside Counsel article “Honigman’s Pifer counsels Pebblebrook on a string of deals”(July 13, 2015)
- J. Adam Rothstein is mentioned as counsel to Pebblebrook Hotel Trust in the Law360 article “Honigman, Haynes And Boone Steer $100M Pebblebrook Loan”(April 14, 2015)
- J. Adam Rothstein and Karen R. Pifer are mentioned as counsel for Pebblebrook in the Law360 article “Honigman Steers $260M Pebblebrook Boston Hotel Deal”(December 18, 2014)
- John D. Pirich quoted in Michigan Citizen article “Barrow continues battle to unseat Bing”(May 16, 2010)
- June Summers Haas quoted in Crain's Detroit Business, "SBT Repeal's Down Side: Uncertainty," Vol. 22, No. 35, August 28, September 3, 2006(August 28, 2006)
- Four Honigman partners earn recognition as Client Service All-Stars(February 15, 2016)
- 129 Honigman attorneys named in the 2013 Michigan Super Lawyers(September 17, 2013)
- Honigman ranked nationally in 2011 U.S. News Media Group and Best Lawyers®(November 16, 2011)
- Seventy-six Honigman attorneys named in 2010 edition of Best Lawyers®(September 16, 2009)
- Honigman to Host First Annual Great Lakes Tribal Economic Development Symposium on October 25-26, 2006(October 25, 2006)
- Honigman Launches Gaming and Hospitality Practice Group(March 1, 2006)
- The Michigan Construction Lien Act: Fundamentals and Special Topics, Lorman Education Services, WebinarMay 25, 2016