Honigman’s Employment Counseling and Strategic Workforce Planning Practice Group assists employers in anticipating and preparing for employment-related changes when business structures and governance change. Our attorneys focus on your business needs to develop practical solutions designed to improve your business operations through strategic labor and employment advice. Our attorneys offer a wide array of legal services, covering the spectrum from the formation of new businesses, to the winding down of businesses, be it through a sale or a dissolution. At every stage, we partner with you to address the myriad of issues that can – and often do – arise in a workplace. In addition to responding to your specific needs, we also provide free client alerts and webinars on the ever-changing employment laws and how they may affect your business. We also offer employer-specific workplace training seminars.
Our attorneys assist clients who are buying or selling a business by helping minimize risk and increase the success of corporate transactions allowing employers to execute employment practices in alignment with business strategies. We perform due diligence and consider employment issues early on in the merger, acquisition or divestiture process to identify key opportunities and latent liabilities.
Services we provide include:
- Providing on-call strategic counseling on employment issues that arise on a daily basis in a workplace, including leave issues, requests for reasonable accommodations, employee misconduct, management of performance issues, threats of violence and social media attacks by employees
- Directing and conducting workforce investigations, including harassment, embezzlement and breach of computer policies
- Developing strategic business strategies for expansions, re-organizations and, if necessary, reductions in workforce
- Drafting employment-related agreements, including employment, severance, sales representative, confidentiality/nondisclosure and intellectual property assignment agreements
- Advising on and crafting necessary employment policies and employee handbooks
- Counseling on record retention obligations
- Analyzing status of independent contractors
- Conducting on-site workplace training
News & Resources
- Stanley H. Pitts is quoted in the Human Resources Executive Online article “Fighting the Backlash”(March 22, 2016)
- ADA, FMLA, and Worker's Compensation Seminar, Sterling Education Services, Inc., Troy, MIMarch 3, 2016
- Keeping Your Business Ahead of the Digital Media Curve: Reducing legal risk in today’s social, mobile and emerging media, Honigman Miller Schwartz and Cohn LLP, Detroit, MIApril 11, 2013