The Antitrust Group's primary focus has been on the defense of antitrust claims brought against our clients. We have defended antitrust claims in more than 30 states. The Antitrust Group has succeeded in obtaining dismissals through motions for summary judgment and motions to dismiss more than 20 times. We have defeated motions for preliminary injunction or caused them to be abandoned in every such case we defended. We have won defense verdicts in major jury trials alleging price-fixing. Our cases include the following:
- U.S. v. Mercy Health Services. Defense of hospital merger.
In re Carbon Dioxide Industry Antitrust Litigation. Defense of price-fixing case.
In re Beef Industry Antitrust Litigation. Defense of price-fixing case.
- Bender v. Southland Corp. Alleged franchisor resale price maintenance and tying.
- Inman's Corp. v. Mitsubishi. Defense of resale price maintenance claim.
- Chi v. Sisters of Mercy Health Corporation. Defended preliminary injunction action challenging exclusive physician contract.
- City Communications, Inc. v. City of Detroit. Defense of exclusive cable television franchise.
- NWS v. General Wine Corp. Defense of claim of predation in spirits industry.
- Hassan v. Independent Practice Associates. Defended claims involving physician selection and reimbursement involving IPA-model HMO.
- Health First, Inc. v. Bronson Methodist Hospital. Antitrust issues involving HMO.
- Dry Cleaning & Laundry Institute of Detroit, Inc. v. Flom's Corp. Defense of price-fixing class action.
- Williams v. Kleaveland. Defended claim of antitrust conspiracy relating to physician staff privileges.
- Ezpeleta v. Sisters of Mercy Health Corp. Defended exclusive physician contract.
- Sugai Products, Inc. v. Kona Kai Farms, Inc. Defense of class action.
- Advocacy Organization for Patients and Providers v. Mercy Health Services. Defense of hospital merger.
- State of Michigan v. Schmuckal Oil. Defense of criminal price-fixing case.
- Wood v. Abbott Laboratories. Defense of price-fixing class action.
- Geneva Steel Co. v. Thyssen. Defense of claim under Antidumping Act of 1916.
- Centigram v. VMX. Defense of claims of price fixing in patent licensing.
- Dialogic v. VMX. Defense of claims of patent tying.
- Tribune Corp. v. Consolidated Newsprint. Defense of claim of boycott of newspaper.
- Champagne Metals v. Ken-Mac, Inc. Defense of claim of boycott of aluminum service center.
- Control Temp. Consultants v. Detroit Edison. Defended predatory pricing claim.
- Baum v. Hillerich & Bradsby Co. Defense of antitrust claims related to sale of baseball bats.
- Valassis Communications, Inc. v. News America Incorporated. Claims of unlawful tying and bundling in consumer products promotions.
- Hy-Ko Products Co. v. Hillman Group, Inc. Defense of claims relating to replacement key industry.
- Shepler’s, Inc. v. Wynn. Claim of unlawful competition for exclusive ferry contract.
- Insignia Systems, Inc. v. News America Marketing In-Store, Inc. Claim of unlawful exclusive contracts in placement of retail advertising.
- National Beverage Systems, Inc. v. Leonard Fountain Specialties, Inc. Defense of claim of predatory pricing, unfair trade practices.