Honigman’s Life Sciences Litigation practice is comprised of experienced intellectual property litigators with extensive technical expertise in chemistry, biochemistry, immunology, microbiology, chemical engineering and mathematics.
We handle complex patent litigation encompassing pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, medical devices and fine chemicals. Our attorneys have a proven track record litigating cases in district court, at the Federal Circuit, and our practitioners have handled some of the very first inter partes review (IPR) trials before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) in the life sciences area, giving us first-hand knowledge of the most effective strategies for both patent owners and petitioners.
Representative cases handled by our attorneys include:
- Represented a branded pharmaceutical company in the first-ever successful defense of a pharmaceutical patent in an AIA review; after the oral hearing, the PTAB ruled that a generic challenger had not proven that claims in three related patents covering controlled release formulations were unpatentable for obviousness over the prior art
- Represented a branded pharmaceutical company in an IPR where the validity of a patent covering an anti-nausea drug patent was challenged by a generic ANDA filer; after filing of the preliminary patent owner response, the PTAB decided not to review the patent
- Representing a medical device company in district court litigation and in eight IPRs involving client’s patents covering medical imaging technology
- Represented a branded pharmaceutical company in a district court ANDA patent litigation against multiple generic ANDA filers seeking to market a generic version of a small molecule drug used to treat the urologic condition, BPH; obtained judgment for client after bench trial
- Represented a branded pharmaceutical company in a district court ANDA patent litigation against multiple generic ANDA filers seeking to market a generic version of the client’s dermatology drug
- Represented a branded pharmaceutical company in a district court ANDA patent litigation against multiple generic ANDA filers seeking to market a generic version of the client’s antidepressant drug; obtained judgment for client after bench trial that was affirmed on appeal
- Defended a biopharmaceutical company in a district court patent infringement litigation involving the client's humanized antibody drug for the treatment of a rare disease
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in the first Federal Circuit appeal of a United States Patent and Trademark Office calculation of Patent Term Adjustment (PTA); obtained a favorable judgment securing additional “B Period” PTA for the client and future patent holders
News & Resources
- Honigman is recognized as the "Intellectual Property Firm to Watch in 2016" by the LMG Life Sciences Awards(September 2016)
- A Primer on IP Basics and Regulatory Fundamentals Relative to Small-Molecule Drugs, Paragraph IV Disputes Master Symposium: Hatch-Waxman Boot Camp, American Conference Institute (ACI), Chicago, ILSeptember 19-20, 2016
- Pharmaceutical Patent Invalidity Challenge Score Card: District Courts v. The PTAB, 10th Annual Paragraph IV Disputes, American Conference Institute (ACI), New York, NYApril 25-26, 2016
- Expert Q&A on Recent Developments with Orange Book-Listed Patent Challenges at the PTAB(August 2016)Practical Law Intellectual Property & Technology