Honigman defends lawyers, accountants, financial advisors and other professionals against claims of professional malpractice and related matters. For our clients, these cases are personal, putting their reputations, careers and financial stability on the line. We are particularly proud that our fellow attorneys at some of the largest and most prestigious firms in the country turn to us to handle these cases on their behalf.
Professional liability claims against attorneys are a claim within a claim. Our experience litigating complex business disputes makes us well-equipped to handle the professional malpractice claims that can arise from them. Our attorneys have both the substantive skills required to analyze, evaluate and effectively handle the complex issues as well as the business litigation experience to steer the case through the legal process.
The results we have obtained for those who have entrusted us with the defense of their reputations and, at times, their livelihood has proven to be most professionally rewarding and personally satisfying.
- Won summary judgment in 2010 for a national law firm accused of mishandling a large estate planning matter resulting in probate litigation
- Secured a low-dollar settlement for another national law firm that allegedly mishandled a patent prosecution and related federal patent infringement case
- Obtained summary judgment, which was upheld by the Eleventh Circuit, in favor of a national law firm in multidistrict litigation arising out of a nationwide securities fraud perpetrated by the firm’s former clients (claims in that case exceeded $500 million)
- Secured a defense verdict for a large Chicago law firm following a three-week jury trial in the Circuit Court of Cook County
- Defended accounting firms in a number of matters, including professional liability
- Represented a Chicago-based accounting firm, in two different cases alleging professional malpractice (prevailed on a motion to dismiss in one case and obtained summary judgment in the other)
News & Resources
- Malpractice Cases That Lawyers Need to Know About, Chicago Bar Association: Committee on Attorney Malpractice, Chicago, ILSeptember 2014
- Overview of Legal Malpractice Defenses, Chicago Bar Association: Committee on Attorney Malpractice, Chicago, ILDecember 2013
- Using the Client Engagement Letter to Avoid CPA Malpractice Claims(May 2009)CPA Insider