Honigman’s Life Sciences Industry Group is an interdisciplinary team of attorneys combining technical proficiency, industry experience and legal knowledge with specific experience in a wide range of life sciences technologies. Our experience and capabilities range from medical devices to molecular genetics.
Our attorneys handle a wide spectrum of intellectual property, corporate and litigation matters for companies of all sizes and in all stages of the business lifecycle, from start-ups to multinational corporate giants. We serve a broad range of life sciences clients in such areas as combinatorial chemistry, protein chemistry, diagnostics, drug design, genomics, developmental biology, plant physiology and agronomy, drug delivery, and mechanical and biomedical engineering. Our life sciences attorneys individually possess strengths in specific scientific disciplines; collectively, our team reflects the diversity of our client base, as well as that of the industry itself.
Our firm works with life sciences companies with various aspects of their businesses, including:
- Formation and financing of early stage ventures
- Start-up technology transfer
- Structuring and negotiating licenses, research and development collaborations, and other technology transactions
- Corporate partnerships and collaboration
- Employment, immigration and benefit strategies
- Planning and developing intellectual property portfolios
- Structuring initial public offerings and follow-on securities offerings
- Protecting and defending intellectual property rights
- Siting, permitting, developing and financing new research and manufacturing facilities
From inception and early stage research through development, marketing and lifecycle management, Honigman helps clients achieve and maintain commercially significant patent protection. Our lawyers are experienced in the growth and management of complex U.S. and international patent portfolios pertaining to pharmaceutical, biotech and medical device technologies at all stages of development. Our lawyers are also skilled in counseling clients regarding patent infringement and validity, and should the need arise, our experienced intellectual property litigators can help enforce patent rights or defend against allegations of infringement. Many of our patent attorneys and patent agents have advanced degrees in molecular biology, chemistry or biophysics.
Our Life Sciences patent lawyers apply decades of combined field experience as engineers and scientists to our legal representation. Our lawyers are experienced in preparing and prosecuting patent applications relating to complex pharmaceutical compounds, nucleic acids, proteins, peptides, antibodies, transgene technology, transgenic animals and plants, nucleic acid expression systems and gene therapy.
Corporate and Securities
The corporate lawyers on our Life Sciences team have extensive experience in evaluating, structuring and negotiating complex business transactions, including:
- Technology transfers from universities, medical centers and private industry
- Venture capital financings
- Strategic research, development and commercialization arrangements between large pharmaceutical companies, biotech companies and major research universities
- Out-licensing and in-licensing agreements
- Clinical trial agreements
- Private placement
- Initial and follow-on public offerings
- Corporate spin-offs
- Mergers and acquisitions
Our Life Sciences Industry Group collaborates with the firm’s health regulatory team to structure relationships between our clients and health care providers and patients to comply with the intricacies of anti-kickback laws, self-referral laws, patient privacy and protection laws, and the evolving world of electronic health information technology. We have represented growing life sciences companies in securing some of the largest venture capital financings in the country from leading domestic and international investors.
We assist life sciences clients to grow and to enter new business lines through corporate partnerships and strategic licensing arrangements. Honigman’s active securities law practice is widely known and respected and has served as counsel to a variety of issuers and regional and national securities underwriting firms in connection with initial and other public offerings of securities. We have significant experience in advising public companies and their directors, officers and affiliates regarding corporate governance matters and their obligations under the federal securities laws.
Technology, Licensing, Development and Distribution
Honigman guides clients through the negotiation, execution and enforcement of agreements needed to bring products to market, develop new technology or access or transfer existing technology. We assist our clients with licenses and assignments pertaining to all forms of intellectual property, including patents, trade secrets, know-how and trademarks. Our lawyers also assist clients in the formation of numerous joint ventures and strategic alliances, and in organizing and restructuring national and international distribution networks.
News & Resources
- Antibodies in an Anti-Patent Climate: Weathering the Storm of Stricter Written Description and Enablement Requirements, 15th Advanced Summit on Life Sciences PatentsFebruary 28, 2017
- Expert Q&A on Orange Book-listed Patent Challenges at the PTAB(September 2015)Practical Law Intellectual Property & Technology
- Preparing for the coming wave of pharma IPRs(February 2015)Intellectual Property Magazine
- Protecting Biotech and Pharma Innovations Under New USPTO Guidelines(September 2, 2014)Life Science Leader
- Effective Killing of Leukemia Cells by the Natural Product OSW-1 through Disruption of Cellular Calcium Homeostasis(2013)Journal of Biological Chemistry, 288: 3240-3250
- Synthesis of biotinylated OSW-1(2009)Bioorg Med Chem Lett., 19(17): 5166–5168
- Ethoxyacetylene(2005)e-EROS Encyclopedia of Reagents for Organic Synthesis
- OSW-1: a natural compound with potent anticancer activity and a novel mechanism of action(2005)J. National Cancer Institute, 97, 1781-1785
- Determination of active ingredients of Rhododendron dauricum L. by capillary electrophoresis with electrochemical detection(2002)Journal of Chromatography (Impact Factor: 4.61) 02/2002; 943(1):153-7
- Determination of puerarin and daidzein in Puerariae radix and its medicinal preparations by micellar electrokinetic capillary chromatography with electrochemical detection(2002)Analytica Chimica Acta Volume 452, Issue 1, Pages 123-128