Honigman’s Higher Education Industry Group is credited with groundbreaking work that has shaped the law governing colleges and universities.
Honigman successfully defended Michigan’s prepaid tuition plan against a federal court challenge, and have subsequently advised numerous states on such plans. One of our attorneys served on the team that defended the use of affirmative action in college and university admissions in a case that reached the United States Supreme Court. Our group includes a former university in-house counsel, a former trustee of a major public university, and an attorney who holds a full-time law school faculty appointment.
Leonard M. Niehoff, who is Co-Chair of Honigman’s Higher Education Industry Group, has practiced college and university law for more than 25 years. He has represented every public university in the State of Michigan, and has counseled numerous private institutions in select jurisdictions throughout the U.S. Mr. Niehoff currently serves on the Board of Directors of the National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA), the preeminent organization in the field. He has spoken at numerous NACUA conferences and has served on the editorial boards of the Journal of College and University Law and West’s Education Law Reporter.
Individually and collectively, members of our team are recognized leaders in the fields that most significantly affect institutions of higher learning, including:
- Civil rights
- Labor and employment
- Intellectual property
- Research and technology transfer
- Board governance, fiduciary obligations, autonomy
- Constitutional law
- Health care and life sciences
- Fundraising and development
- Statutory and regulatory compliance
- Real property acquisition
- Real estate development, zoning
- Student affairs
- Internal investigations
News & Resources
- Meeting the Diversity Challenge: Access and Equal Opportunity in Higher Education and the University of Texas Case, National Association of College and University Attorneys’ Annual Conference, Philadelphia, PAJune 20, 2013
- An Introduction to the Higher Education Counsel’s Office: Ethical Issues, National Association of College and University Attorneys’ Annual Conference, Philadelphia, PAJune 18, 2013