Honigman's Social, Mobile and Emerging Media Industry Group's attorneys are recognized as thought leaders on the cutting edge of social media legal developments and the legal implications of these technologies. Our cross-disciplinary team helps clients identify and address legal issues related to new digital technologies and the increasingly diverse channels of communication and commerce they have generated. Honigman's attorneys bring to the table over a hundred years of combined experience in First Amendment and media law—including some of the nation’s most accomplished media litigators—as well as recognized leaders in intellectual property law, technology law, employment law and litigation, and other related disciplines.
We are regularly invited to share our insights through frequent public speaking engagements, webinars, publications and individualized client briefings. Honigman advises clients who create content in social media, augmented reality, mobile applications and other digital media.
Honigman also counsels clients in a wide range of industries in connection with anticipating, preventing, and responding to issues involving social media, including objectionable user-generated content, as well as abuse and legally protected use of social media by employees. This often involves drafting or updating policies governing social media for use by clients, their employees and third-party users of client resources, as well as privacy policies and e-commerce terms and conditions. It also includes preparing proper corporate, immigration and financial documents to help achieve the client’s goals.
Honigman’s approach is to identify and anticipate legal threats that others have not yet discerned as new technologies are developed and applications are integrated into the workplace. We are committed to having a thorough knowledge of our clients’ businesses and to customize our advice for our clients’ individual needs.
News & Resources
- Pitfalls of Social Media, Keystone Breakfast Speaker Series, Haworth College of Business, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MIMay 30, 2014
- Keeping Your Business Ahead of the Digital Media Curve: Reducing legal risk in today’s social, mobile and emerging media, Honigman Miller Schwartz and Cohn LLP, Detroit, MIApril 11, 2013
- Social Media Do's and Don'ts: Without guidelines, employers can get into trouble in a hurry(June 2015)Chicago Lawyer Magazine
- Pinterest tightens its rules on contests(November 7, 2013)
- SEC Updates Status on Social Media: Tweet with Caution(May 17, 2012)