New USPTO Detroit Office Brings Advantages to Honigman Clients
Honigman is excited to inform you that the first satellite location of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) recently opened in Detroit, the site of our firm's home office. This is the first satellite office provided for in the Leahy-Smith America Invents Act.
Advantages for Our Clients
The Detroit USPTO Satellite office will provide Honigman and its clients with:
- the ability to schedule in-person interviews with examiners,
- access to local videoconferencing facilities connecting to examiners throughout the country for client/attorney/examiner meetings or to meet with USPTO personnel to ask questions,
- easier access to search assistance from USPTO search experts,
- the ability to locally file paper documents,
- the use of the USPTO’s search tools, providing access to the world’s leading databases of prior art to search for patentability, and
- a geographic cost advantage arising from Detroit’s position as a less expensive legal market than many other large cities.
Intellectual Property Practice Group
Honigman’s Intellectual Property Practice Group is uniquely situated to provide our clients with cost effective and high-quality legal services. We have developed a specialized practice group that combines technical proficiency, industry experience, and extensive legal knowledge with a competitive cost structure. Eleven of our attorneys and agents have earned an advanced degree in biology, chemistry or physics. And many of our more than 50 team members have extensive experience working in-house at large and small corporations. This practical understanding of the business environment, including product development timelines and product life cycle, allows Honigman to be more than just another law firm.
Honigman’s team members are experienced in planning and managing complex patent and trademark portfolios at all stages of development. Our intellectual property expertise also includes structuring and negotiating licenses, research and development collaborations, and other technology transactions; performing extensive product clearance reviews (both patentability and freedom-to-operate); leading intellectual property due diligence related to licensing and acquisitions; and protecting and defending our clients’ intellectual property rights throughout the country.
We are committed to providing world-class quality, timely, cost-effective, value-added services to our clients, to being responsive to their needs, and to keeping abreast of legal and technological developments for the benefit of our clients.
Please feel free to contact any of the Patent or Intellectual Property attorneys, if you would like to learn more about our legal services.