Zoning and Land Use Practice Group's update on high profile land use approvals throughout Michigan
Honigman’s multidisciplinary Zoning and Land Use Practice Group has recently been involved in the following high profile large development and LULU (locally unwanted land uses) projects. Our attorneys shepherd applications through often politically charged and controversial entitlement approval processes and often find ourselves acting as facilitators, negotiators, and when necessary, litigators against the municipalities.
Large Development Projects
- New 14 Story Apartment Project in Ann Arbor, Michigan - Approval of a 14 story apartment project in downtown Ann Arbor that was adamantly opposed by organized and well financed neighborhood groups, historic groups and special interest groups.
- The Outfield Development and Stadium Renovation Project in Lansing, Michigan – Represented developer in public-private partnership that would renovate minor league baseball stadium and add multi-story residential and restaurant elements.
- Text Amendment to East Lansing, Michigan Zoning Ordinance – Obtained approval of text amendment to City Ordinance to permit land division which enabled re-development of prominent corner as retail and office development.
- First Conditional Zoning Agreements in St. Joseph and Holland Township, Michigan – Identified re-zoning opportunities and tailored first ever Conditional Zoning Agreements to be entered by the City of St. Joseph and Holland Township.
- New Digital Billboard in Allen Park, Michigan – Obtain numerous variances and approvals related to establishment of largest digital billboard located on Baker College property along I-94.
- New Student Housing Projects in Allendale, Mt. Pleasant, Kalamazoo, Michigan and Gainsville, Florida – Represent national apartment developer with regard to development, zoning and land use approvals related to controversial new projects.
- New Silica Sand Mine in Rockwood, Michigan – Represent international mining company with respect to approvals related to proposed new silica mine situated in two townships.
- New Digital Billboard and LED Sign Ordinance in Kalamazoo, Michigan – Represent national billboard company in controversial process related to development of new digital sign ordinance.
- New Mining Master Plan and Mining Ordinance in Metamora Township, Michigan – Participate on behalf of mining interests in controversial process related to proposed new gravel mining ordinances.
If you have similar issues that you would like to discuss, please feel free to contact one of Honigman’s Zoning and Land Use attorneys.