- with highest honors; Order of the Coif; American Jurisprudence Award for Trial Advocacy; Ramsey-Burke Scholarship for Academic Excellence
- Chicago-Kent Law Review, Notes & Comments Editor
- Kelley School of Business
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
American Bar Association (1997-present)
- Insurance Coverage Litigation Subcommittee on Cyber Risk & Data Privacy, Co-chair (2015-present)
- Insurance Coverage Litigation Subcommittee on Computers & Technology, Co-chair (2010-2014)
The Defense Research Institute (1999-present)
Mr. Rosenthal represents businesses in complex litigation, and also regularly advises corporate policyholders in insurance coverage disputes.
- Serves as the Chicago Office Managing Partner and on the firm's Board of Directors.
- Previously served as the Managing Partner of Schopf & Weiss LLP from 2010 to 2015 (prior to the firm merging with Honigman).
- Authors articles on business litigation topics, as well as articles that discuss the best means to achieve prompt, efficient resolution of lawsuits, and has served as a regular contributor to the CPA Insider.
- Landesbank Hessen-Thüringen Girozentrale v. Arch Insurance Company, et. al. (Nashville, TN 2015); represented international financial institution in an action against 16 insurers and the world’s largest insurance broker involving $150 million insurance coverage claim.
- Private equity sponsor; represented private equity sponsor in seven-figure dispute over alleged breach of representations and warranties in connection with sale of portfolio company to Fortune 50 company.
- American Home Assurance Company v. Checkpoint Systems, Inc. (Morris County, N.J. 2014); represented policyholder in litigation over insurance coverage for antitrust lawsuit seeking in excess of $100 million in damages.
- Industrial manufacturer (electrical industry) (2013); negotiated more than $11 million in insurance coverage for contract lawsuit in which insurer claimed to have mistakenly revised D&O policy.
- Young v. County of Cook (N.D. Ill. 2010); advised Cook County, Illinois, in connection with insurance coverage for $55 million class action settlement.
- Glen Ellyn Pharmacy, Inc. v. Sepracor, Inc. (N.D. Ill. 2010); obtained 100 percent indemnification from insurer of defense costs and $2.43 million settlement payment made by pharmaceutical company.
- Pace American v. Elixir Industries 2009 WL 211953 (N.D. Ill. 2009); won summary judgment terminating case alleging fraud and breach of contract against distributor of aluminum coil brought by one of the world’s largest manufacturers of automotive trailers.
- Am Law 100 Firm (N.D. Ill. 2009); defended one of the world's largest law firms against 12-count complaint brought by former partner; case resolved after winning successive sanctions motions against plaintiff.
- AA Sales v. Coni-Seal 550 F.3d. 605 (7th Cir. 2008); won reversal of summary judgment; case was remanded for trial on sales representative company's claims that defendant wrongfully denied commissions on sales to nation's leading auto parts retailer.
- American Express (2008); represented dozens of former managing directors in arbitration resulting from corporate acquisition, including claims to recover stock options and restricted stock awards.
- West Bend v. Action Bio-Care (2008); obtained judgment on the pleadings recovering 100 percent of attorneys’ fees and costs incurred defending federal copyright infringement and fraud lawsuit.
- Industrial recycler (2006); recovered full limits of fidelity bond policy on behalf of industrial recycler.
- Oceanic Bank and Trust (N.D. Ill. 2006); successfully defended Bahamian bank and fund administrator against several multimillion dollar lawsuits alleging securities fraud and related claims.
- Tribune Company: A.P., et al. v. M.E.E., et al. 354 Ill. App. 3d 989 (1st Dist. 2004); represented Tribune Co. and the Chicago Tribune in gaining access to courtroom and court files regarding the highly publicized Pritzker family litigation, and further secured the public and media's right of access.
- Carter v. Commonwealth Edison, et al. (Cook County, Ill. 2003); won successive partial summary judgments and trial against third-party defendant for indemnification and attorneys' fees totaling nearly $4 million.
- Industrial manufacturer (2003); obtained summary judgment on behalf of manufacturing company seeking insurance coverage for multimillion dollar federal and state lawsuits arising out of alleged environmental contamination.
- Sure Start v. Zurich American Ins. Co. (Cook County, Ill. 2003); won summary judgment for insured on defense and indemnification obligations and bad faith claim (entitling insured to attorneys' fees and costs in bringing coverage lawsuit).
- Ringo v. Linde (Cook County, Ill. 2001); first-chaired trial and obtained directed judgment (affirmed on appeal) for former corporate president in breach of contract lawsuit regarding bank notes used to finance corporation.
- Pribble v. United States (C.D. Ill. 2000); won habeas corpus petition resulting in reversal of six-count bank fraud conviction of former bank president, obtaining his immediate release from federal prison.
- Harris v. Coldwell Banker 312 Ill. App. 3d 1197 (1st Dist. 2000); obtained dismissal of lawsuit seeking to hold national real estate brokerage firm responsible for failing to disclose special assessment enacted by village ordinance; dismissal was affirmed on appeal.
Constitutional Rights Foundation
- Chicago's Lawyers in the Classroom Program, Volunteer
American Theater Company
- Board of Directors (2010-2013)
IIT Chicago-Kent Career Strategies Task Force
News & Resources
- Jason M. Rosenthal is mentioned as having been elected to Honigman’s board of directors in the Chicago Lawyer section “Firm Life: News and notes from the legal community”(December 1, 2015)
- Jason M. Rosenthal profiled in the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin article “Rosenthal emphasizes results over talk”(2010)
- Honigman Chicago-based Attorneys Named Super Lawyers and Rising Stars(January 17, 2017)
- Honigman Chicago-based attorneys named in 2016 Illinois Super Lawyers(February 4, 2016)
- Honigman re-elects board chair and vice chair and adds four new members(October 19, 2015)
- Entering the Mainstream: Reps and warranties insurance is continuing to build interest in the private funds space(June 19, 2015)Private Funds Management
- What Avoidance Powers are Available Under Chapter 15 of the Bankruptcy Code?(October 21, 2014)The National Law Review
- Twenty Questions to Ask Coverage Counsel in Business Litigation(March 3, 2014)ABA Section of Litigation: Business Torts & Unfair Competition
- Keep Your Data, Not Your Head, In the Cloud(November 22, 2013)ABA Section of Litigation: Insurance Coverage
- Chart a Path Toward Insurance Coverage(Spring 2012)Chicago Yacht Club Blinker
- Warning: Cloud Could Bring Storm(February 27, 2012)CPA Insider
- Insurance Coverage for Data Breaches(December 19, 2011)CPA Insider
- Should CPAs be Financially Rewarded as Whistleblowers?(July 11, 2011)CPA Insider
- What's in Your Engagement Letter?(May 2, 2011)CPA Insider
- Where Can Your CPA Firm be Sued?(January 31, 2011)CPA Insider
- Choose Your Own Litigation Adventure: The Insured's Right to Independent Counsel(Fall 2010)ABA Section of Litigation: Committee on Pretrial Practice and Discovery (Vol. 19, No. 1)
- Understanding Intellectual Property Assets(September 13, 2010)CPA Insider
- Dealing With Clients in Financial Distress(September 2010)Journal of Accountancy
- The Accountant-Client Privilege: Does it Exist?(June 7, 2010)CPA Insider
- Dealing With Clients in Financial Distress(March 8, 2010)CPA Insider
- Who Killed the Billable Hour?(January 11, 2010)CPA Insider
- A Practitioner's Guide to Class Actions (Illinois and Indiana Chapters)(2010)American Bar Association
- 10 Tips on Getting Your Business in Good Shape for 2010(December 2009)CPA Insider
- Electronic Discovery: The New Cost of Litigation?(November 2009)CPA Insider
- What You Say Can and Will Be Used Against You ... by the IRS(October 2009)CPA Insider
- Pitfalls When Hiring Laterals(September 2009)CPA Insider
- Got Coverage? You paid for it, now use it(August 2009)CPA Insider
- Understanding the Three Pillars of the Current Financial Crisis(July 2009)CPA Insider
- Recovering Attorneys' Fees(June 2009)CPA Insider
- Using the Client Engagement Letter to Avoid CPA Malpractice Claims(May 2009)CPA Insider
- Managing the Employment Relationship(April 2009)CPA Insider
- Selecting the Best Resolution Process for Legal Disputes(April 2009)CPA Insider
- Insurance Coverage for Bankrupt Corporations: Needed Now More Than Ever(2009)ABA Section of Litigation: Insurance Coverage Litigation
- Staying Discovery in Federal Securities Lawsuits(November 2002)The Practical Litigator (Vol. 13, No. 6)
- Incorporation May Not Mean Sophistication: Should There Be a Suitability Requirement for Banks Selling Derivatives to Corporations(June 1996)Chicago-Kent Law Review (Vol. 71, No. 4)
Seminars & Events
- How a Bankruptcy Lawyer Can Learn to Navigate the Tricky World of Insurance Law, The Chicago Bar Association2015
- How a Coverage Lawyer Can Learn to Navigate the Tricky World of Bankruptcy Law, Chicago Bar Association2014
- Solvency and Valuation Opinions: How to Make Them Work for an Offshore Litigation, Restructuring and Insolvency Specialists Association of Grand Cayman2014
- Movies on Trial, Schopf & Weiss CLE Series2012
- What Insurance Lawyers Need to Know About Coverage for Data Security Breaches, ExecSense2011
- Moving Mountains: What to Do When Your Insurer Won't Pay, Schopf & Weiss CLE Series2011
- The Best Tips & Techniques for Alternative Fee Arrangements for Accountants in 2011, ExecSense2011
- Make 'Em Pay: Basic Steps to Securing Insurance Coverage, Schopf & Weiss CLE Series2010
- Employment Law: What You Should Know, Schopf & Weiss CLE Series2010
- Steps to Getting Insurance Coverage, The Chicago Bar Association2010
- Chicago Lawyer, recognized as one of "Forty Illinois Attorneys Under 40 to Watch," 2010
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Leading Lawyers Network
- Illinois Super Lawyers, 2008-present
- Recognized as a Rising Star, 2008-2012